No announcement yet.

Arch Linux Update On The Status Of Its Toolchain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You’d think with the Steam Deck running Arch that Valve would be heavily invested in finding someone to fill this roll

Comment

As for GNOME on Archlinux, I resigned a while ago after being nearly inactive for 2 years.
      During those 2 years, the current GNOME maintainer did the updates on his own.

I have maintained GNOME for 15 years on Archlinux and though most of the times it's bump and build, but every release comes with soname bumps and breakage, so updating GNOME to a new release takes time. When you're on your own, nobody will take up where you leave.

Maintainers do not get any money for their time they put into Archlinux, so when it comes to dedication, job and family comes first. That's also the reason why I decided to resign, My dedication to Archlinux was nearly zero in the last 2 years before I resigned.

Comment

Originally posted by JGC_ View Post
        As for GNOME on Archlinux, I resigned a while ago after being nearly inactive for 2 years.
        During those 2 years, the current GNOME maintainer did the updates on his own.

I have maintained GNOME for 15 years on Archlinux and though most of the times it's bump and build, but every release comes with soname bumps and breakage, so updating GNOME to a new release takes time. When you're on your own, nobody will take up where you leave.

Maintainers do not get any money for their time they put into Archlinux, so when it comes to dedication, job and family comes first. That's also the reason why I decided to resign, My dedication to Archlinux was nearly zero in the last 2 years before I resigned.
        Yes, and please tell me, what did you Arch Devs as a group, did to organize a recruitment effort to replace you? Nothing. You just stand there, in your positions, clearly unmotivated for months and years, letting the distro in limbo, before you decide to do us all a favor and finally announce that you don't want to bother anymore. All the while if you actually cared about the distro, you would actively try to recruit more people, show them the ropes as they learned, and let them pick up when you leave.

You are all selfish crazy leftists in the Arch dev circles. You cared more about how to address LGBQTDFDGTDDRGR+ people and trash "codes of conduct" than actually bothering to recruit more people and communicate that there is a lack of motivated personel....

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Yes, and please tell me, what did you Arch Devs as a group, did to organize a recruitment effort to replace you? Nothing. You just stand there, in your positions, clearly unmotivated for months and years, letting the distro in limbo, before you decide to do us all a favor and finally announce that you don't want to bother anymore. All the while if you actually cared about the distro, you would actively try to recruit more people, show them the ropes as they learned, and let them pick up when you leave.

You are all selfish crazy leftists in the Arch dev circles. You cared more about how to address LGBQTDFDGTDDRGR+ people and trash "codes of conduct" than actually bothering to recruit more people and communicate that there is a lack of motivated personel....
          When I became inactive, I informed the rest of the crew, which was november 2018.
          From november 2018 to october 2021 I've done some small updates, rebuilds, todo list items and closed some bug reports, but wasn't involved in big things or the trash discussions you're talking about.

During my 15 years as active maintainer for Archlinux, I've seen developers come and go. It's up to the team to replace them with new people. Sometimes people apply for the "job", sometimes the team picks new maintainers because they do good work as (trusted?) user.

As for selfishness: during my 15 years as maintainer, I never received any thank you from any user. What I did receive multiple times was complaints about "why isn't this updated yet". So it's time to look in the mirror.

Comment

I have read the "how to become a trusted user"
            One of the things mentioned is manage aur packages. I have done that several times, and been updating from day one with new version. What always happens is some day, with no notice the package is moved into community repo by a maintainer that already maintains 50+ packages. When next version comes it takes weeks before it's updated.
            Fantastic way to encourage participation...
            Last edited by tiltkoko; 09 February 2022, 12:37 PM.

Comment

@tiltkoko #post1307905
              Here I wrote earlier about the harmlessness of the maintainers. I can add that aur packages were removed from me several times for no reason, although they solved the errors of other packages, and crooked packages hang there for years, but just a complaint from a harmful person is enough, and the package is simply killed indiscriminately and compensation. recovery possibilities. So I moved to github.

Comment

I haven't use GNOME for a decade or something like it, I think I stopped using that DE when they released version 3 gravitating towards XFCE, so I'm quite sure I've used your packages JGC_, thanks for the work you've put into it! I remember having [testing] or [gnome-unstable] (can't recall) enabled as well when I was excited about a new release.

I have fond memories of those times, having a USB stick with a live environment to use with uni computers so it felt like home. Archiso is really useful and easy to use, although things got complex with UEFI and Secure Boot.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                  Too late, I already got Gentoo working.
                  Getting Gentoo running is the least of your problems. I used Gento for almost 6 years from 2015 to 2016 and to be honest, the tooling got worse. Sometimes it is PITA to update it. Python and Perl packages were the worst. The last drop for me was when the only way to update the system was to run emerge -e to rebuild everything. I have AMD Ryzen 1800X and sometimes it segfaults during compilation, so I was running an update for a few hours then it segfaulted and emerge -r said it can't continue because of conflicts. Seriously, the emerge was running just fine before the fail, just please continue where you stopped last time. I learned a lot by using Gentoo and I liked it a lot, but this was a deal-breaker for me. I got the feeling the tools got worse over time, but that is just my view of it and I can be wrong.
                  I switched to Arch and so far I am satisfied with it, although at work officially supported distributions are Fedora or Ubuntu, so I have to switch there and then probably at home to have a unified environment everywhere.

Comment

Good ol' Phoronix. Ironically, speaking of single maintainers, there is only one Michael. Well, so they say. I suspect he has clones, based on the amount of output.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

is there an arch linux without systemd ?
                      Artix Linux, a systemd-free linux distribution.

Comment

Working...
                      X