Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Update On The Status Of Its Toolchain

Phoronix: Arch Linux Update On The Status Of Its Toolchain

Yesterday I published an article looking at the unfortunate state of Arch Linux's GNU compiler toolchain that it's fallen behind and users raising concerns over it for months. Following that article the current Arch Linux GNU toolchain package maintainer has provided an update and is calling for at least another package maintainer to get involved...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kewl

Comment

Installation process is quite similar. Only major difference is that instead of just installing the PKG they are being compiled first.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
        Too late, I already got Gentoo working.
        I switched from gentoo to arch in 2009. Life is short, dude.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post

I switched from gentoo to arch in 2009. Life is short, dude.
          I went full circle (even beyond maybe): from Arch to Ubuntu in 2007, from Ubuntu to Gentoo in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
            Too late, I already got Gentoo working.
            How do you switch to Gentoo?
            I want to get the latest version of glibc too.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post

I switched from Gentoo to arch in 2009. Life is short, dude.
              Funny, I also switched from Gentoo in late 2009. Gentoo was my Linux of choice since 2003, but after a period of several months of trouble after updates. Especially failing to boot, X11 not coming up or not unable to log in, almost every time I ran emerge. I was using Gentoo for more than seven years, over six of these years were good. But not able to use it as the tool I wanted and needed, frustrated me. The constantly tinkering to get things to work was too much. So, I switched to Fedora. But two years in, I got to fed up with the update cycle every half year, missing packages, searching or waiting for repos, etc. Then I found Arch Linux. I use Arch for more than 10 years now. It is by far the most painless experience I had with Linux.

Comment

That's why I use corporate backed distros where maintaining important stuff does not depend on the good will of volunteers.

Comment

I guess since Valve's Steam OS 3 will be based on Arch there is a High interest from almighty Gabe that Arch is stable and rolling edge. Otherwise they could stay on Debian.

Comment

BTW distrohopping is a cool thing - checking out different flavours of the experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X