Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi OS 32-bit vs. 64-bit Performance

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi OS 32-bit vs. 64-bit Performance

Last week marked the long awaited release of a 64-bit spin of Raspberry Pi OS. The Raspberry Pi Foundation has now made available a 64-bit build of their default Linux OS build derived from Debian for all recent Raspberry Pi hardware supporting AArch64. For those curious, here are some benchmarks looking at the performance improvement by switching from Raspberry Pi OS 32-bit to 64-bit.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How is the impact on cold-booting time? (and rebooting)

Comment

Do 64 bit builds include more instructions? Because I wouldn't think doubling the registers would have that much of an impact on a 4GB system.

Comment

which SoC is capable of streaming Netflix/whatever at 4k?
        anybody tried radxa zero for this?

Comment

Isn't rpi 4 8gb 2xhdmi nvme storage gigabit lan the goto platform for 4k?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Do 64 bit builds include more instructions? Because I wouldn't think doubling the registers would have that much of an impact on a 4GB system.
            Some instructions have been added to fill out shortcomings, and most importantly the floating point (and vector) instructions have been reworked to be significantly less of a fuckup

Though an extra 16 registers surely helps too

Comment

How about memory consumption though? I would expect 64 bit to be worse for obvious reasons, which can be important on devices with such limited resources. Especially the Zero with its half gig of RAM.

Comment

I remember at least on x86 some tests were faster in 32bit vs 64bit mode in the past - looks like ARM64 is unequivocally and distinctly faster, as all the software and compilers have learned to utilize 64bit instructions.

Originally posted by royce View Post
                How about memory consumption though? I would expect 64 bit to be worse for obvious reasons, which can be important on devices with such limited resources. Especially the Zero with its half gig of RAM.
                How so if it completes the same work faster? The only thing that goes for 32bit is a more modest memory consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  As noted, vector math was significantly improved (64-bit -> 128-bit).

Also, according to the AArch64 wikipedia page:

Instructions are still 32 bits long and mostly the same as A32 (with LDM/STM instructions and most conditional execution dropped).
                  • Has paired loads/stores (in place of LDM/STM).
                  • No predication for most instructions (except branches).
                  I'd have expected predication to be a win, but the fact they removed it says otherwise.

Comment

Wow, these numbers are eye opening and prove there was more perf to squeeze out of the lowly 64-bit capable Pi by simply going 64-bit OS. No shock to me though.

So basically those that said the equivalent of "moving the Pi to 64-bit wouldn't do shit" were not only very wrong but proves they were moron of the highest order. "That's why I looooooooooove....Nestle Crunch. <SNAP><Insert morons of the highest order being snatched away screaming>." pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

Now that kernel 5.15 is in play via rpiupdate, it should squeeze out even further gains for at least the Pi4 users.
                    Last edited by kozman; 07 February 2022, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X