No announcement yet.

Slackware 15.0 Released After Many Years In Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, you might want to change "Slackware 14 released back in 2012 and has finally been succeded by Slackware 15.0 as stable" to "Slackware 14.2 released back in 2016 has finally been succeeded by Slackware 15.0 as stable".

It'd be quite a bit more accurate as 14.2 was the last stable Slackware release, meanwhile 2016 to 2022 is still quite a sensationalist sentence

Comment

Originally posted by dreich View Post

Definitely. You need to look no further than android and chromeos with all their classic init, layers of shell scripts and missing functionality that users have been eagerly waiting for a decade. If Android and chromeos with their billions of users ever want to become successful and packed with modern features, they should take a leaf out of systemd and desktop linux.
      What the heck, ChromeOS is the most lean linux distro I've ever used and I love BSD style init scripts. Starting and starting and enabling services in OpenBSD and FreeBSD just works! I love that Slackware uses BSD style init scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

We, the systemd users, still eagerly wait for that thing that is better then systemd, with a strong emphasis on better, because since the dawn of systemd, all you guys been doing is nothing but layering more and more layers of shell scripts around classic init to support things that are just inexcusable if missing 10 years ago.

Though, really sorry but, I have the strong believe that if any of you ever tries up coming up with a new solution that actually works in 2022, it would be just like systemd.
        I'm not sure who is the "you" you are talking to, I'm certainly pro-systemd and have developed and aversion towards shell scripting particularly over the last two years.

Comment

Slackware waited until now to bring in Python 3? 🙀
          What a shit distribution! 💩

Comment

I find myself wondering what Slackware offers that gentoo does not.

Gentoo is source-based, more configurable, better package manager, choices of init rather than mandating deprecated methods, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
              Am I reading it wrong, or Patrick called systemd anti-Unix in a polite way?
              I'm also sure all 17 users of Slackware agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

that would be a good phoronix benchmark sftp: slackware vs ubuntu lts vs opensuse vs rocky
                I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Tf? Slackware 14 was released in 2012, when Python 2 was still default by nearly every distribution and sometimes even the only option. 14.1 and 14.2 were smaller updates on top of the stable base, so there was no way to switch to Python 3 at that point and so it had to wait until the next major upgrade, which is this one. And sure, it's taken a lot of time, but don't forget that this distro is mosty a one-man effort in his spare time. I'd like to see you do better under the same circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyth0n View Post
                    Seriously? 2022 and no https?
                    You know, buying a certificate is too expensive, and having to renew the free one every 60/90 days is so annoying, so the best choice is to not have any

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Oh yes that's what I hate about you.
                      You seemingly don't care about the fact this is more of a historical distro with ~25 years of existence.
                      There are other distros if you need such stuff, but don't you shit on a distro that shaped the history of Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X