Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware 15.0 Released After Many Years In Development

Phoronix: Slackware 15.0 Released After Many Years In Development

Slackware 14 released back in 2012 and has finally been succeded by Slackware 15.0 as stable! Slackware remains the oldest, still-maintained Linux distribution that has been around since 1993...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember using Slackware during 2016 to 2019.
    It was a pretty unique experience, but the (proto-)package manager was very basic that I ended up make installing everything that wasn't available on the default installation.
    Service management was rather difficult to do as everything was a script...

The only benefit is that SFTP worked faster (reaching peak speeds of 90MB/s) when compared to openSUSE (which only does up to 40MB/s) on this poor slow processor.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      It was a pretty unique experience, but the (proto-)package manager was very basic that I ended up make installing everything that wasn't available on the default installation.
      Service management was rather difficult to do as everything was a script...

The only benefit is that SFTP worked faster (reaching peak speeds of 90MB/s) when compared to openSUSE (which only does up to 40MB/s) on this poor slow processor.
      that would be a good phoronix benchmark sftp: slackware vs ubuntu lts vs opensuse vs rocky

Comment

Be interesting to try this new build the whole shebang from source.

Comment

Am I reading it wrong, or Patrick called systemd anti-Unix in a polite way?

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
            Be interesting to try this new build the whole shebang from source.
            Absolutely.

I guess I know what's getting installed soon...

Comment

Slackware is the "way of the samurai"..

I will be giving it a test

Comment

14.1 and 14.2 were also "stable" releases with major updates. Just not a total overhaul.

Comment

that Other Init System
                  Nice

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    This article took me back to the mid 90s when I had to take 80+ floppies to my university to download Slackware ... those were the days.

Out of sheer nostalgia I looked up Pats wikipedia article and the slackware website that seems to confirm that Slackware kept true to its roots.

I doubt that the hopefully upcoming phoronix benchmark will sway me away from Fedora, though :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X