X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonk
    replied
    Originally posted by evasb View Post
    Am I reading it wrong, or Patrick called systemd anti-Unix in a polite way?
    You're reading it right.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

We, the systemd users, still eagerly wait for that thing that is better then systemd, with a strong emphasis on better, because since the dawn of systemd, all you guys been doing is nothing but layering more and more layers of shell scripts around classic init to support things that are just inexcusable if missing 10 years ago.

Though, really sorry but, I have the strong believe that if any of you ever tries up coming up with a new solution that actually works in 2022, it would be just like systemd.
    They keep bitching but when challenged to actually get their asses in gear on making a suitable and superior replacement to systemd, suddenly everyone is "just a user" and nobody knows how to write a single line of code, but developers must listen to them regardless.

Users don't get and don't deserve a say in how software should be developed.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 04 February 2022, 05:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

It doesn't have to be polite. I think systemd developers and users are long over Unix.
    We, the systemd users, still eagerly wait for that thing that is better then systemd, with a strong emphasis on better, because since the dawn of systemd, all you guys been doing is nothing but layering more and more layers of shell scripts around classic init to support things that are just inexcusable if missing 10 years ago.

Though, really sorry but, I have the strong believe that if any of you ever tries up coming up with a new solution that actually works in 2022, it would be just like systemd.

Leave a comment:

• Pyth0n
    replied
    Seriously? 2022 and no https?

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Slackware was the first distro I installed, a very long time ago. I wouldn't go back to it now but Patrick's dedication and effort is truly admirable. Slackware was the first distro that was comparatively user friendly to install and featured a rudimentary package manager from the start. It's safe to say that many early users got introduced to Linux and to FOSS through his work.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by evasb View Post
    Am I reading it wrong, or Patrick called systemd anti-Unix in a polite way?
    It doesn't have to be polite. I think systemd developers and users are long over Unix.
    Last edited by jacob; 04 February 2022, 12:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by jochendemuth View Post
    This article took me back to the mid 90s when I had to take 80+ floppies to my university to download Slackware ... those were the days.
    Ha, same here. I've got an original Slackware 3.0 CD here from ~1995. I think this was the first version to be made available on CD vs. pile-o-floppies. I got this one in the InfoMagick 6-CD set that I ordered from an ad in Linux Journal magazine. Good times.

Leave a comment:

• ihatemichael
    replied
    Hopefully Slackware 16 will use systemd by default.

Leave a comment:

• linuxgeex
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I remember using Slackware during 2016 to 2019.
    It was a pretty unique experience, but the (proto-)package manager was very basic that I ended up make installing everything that wasn't available on the default installation.
    Service management was rather difficult to do as everything was a script...

The only benefit is that SFTP worked faster (reaching peak speeds of 90MB/s) when compared to openSUSE (which only does up to 40MB/s) on this poor slow processor.
    If you want to speed up sftp, disable the more expensive crypto options. ChaCha is the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• jochendemuth
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I remember using Slackware during 2016 to 2019.
    This article took me back to the mid 90s when I had to take 80+ floppies to my university to download Slackware ... those were the days.

Out of sheer nostalgia I looked up Pats wikipedia article and the slackware website that seems to confirm that Slackware kept true to its roots.

I doubt that the hopefully upcoming phoronix benchmark will sway me away from Fedora, though :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X