Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware 15.0 Released After Many Years In Development

Phoronix: Slackware 15.0 Released After Many Years In Development

Slackware 14 released back in 2012 and has finally been succeded by Slackware 15.0 as stable! Slackware remains the oldest, still-maintained Linux distribution that has been around since 1993...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-15.0-Released

I remember using Slackware during 2016 to 2019.
    It was a pretty unique experience, but the (proto-)package manager was very basic that I ended up make installing everything that wasn't available on the default installation.
    Service management was rather difficult to do as everything was a script...

The only benefit is that SFTP worked faster (reaching peak speeds of 90MB/s) when compared to openSUSE (which only does up to 40MB/s) on this poor slow processor.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      It was a pretty unique experience, but the (proto-)package manager was very basic that I ended up make installing everything that wasn't available on the default installation.
      Service management was rather difficult to do as everything was a script...

The only benefit is that SFTP worked faster (reaching peak speeds of 90MB/s) when compared to openSUSE (which only does up to 40MB/s) on this poor slow processor.
      that would be a good phoronix benchmark sftp: slackware vs ubuntu lts vs opensuse vs rocky

Comment

Be interesting to try this new build the whole shebang from source.

Comment

Am I reading it wrong, or Patrick called systemd anti-Unix in a polite way?

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
            Be interesting to try this new build the whole shebang from source.
            Absolutely.

I guess I know what's getting installed soon...

Comment

Slackware is the "way of the samurai"..

I will be giving it a test

Comment

14.1 and 14.2 were also "stable" releases with major updates. Just not a total overhaul.

Comment

that Other Init System
                  Nice

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    This article took me back to the mid 90s when I had to take 80+ floppies to my university to download Slackware ... those were the days.

Out of sheer nostalgia I looked up Pats wikipedia article and the slackware website that seems to confirm that Slackware kept true to its roots.

I doubt that the hopefully upcoming phoronix benchmark will sway me away from Fedora, though :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X