Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squeezing More Performance Out Of An Intel Celeron "Alder Lake" CPU With A Faster Linux OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeezing More Performance Out Of An Intel Celeron "Alder Lake" CPU With A Faster Linux OS

Phoronix: Squeezing More Performance Out Of An Intel Celeron "Alder Lake" CPU With A Faster Linux OS

Recently I tested the Intel Celeron G6900 Alder Lake processor as a $40~60 CPU and the lowest-end SKU as part of the latest-generation Intel desktop CPU line-up. Those tests were carried out on Ubuntu Linux (as usual) for that dual-core processor and was an interesting little processor for the price and for the lack of any AMD Zen 3 competition currently at that low price point. If needing to make daily use of such an Intel Celeron system, switching out your Linux distribution can help. In this article are benchmarks of the Celeron G6900 across Arch-based Manjaro, Intel's Clear Linux, Fedora Workstation 35, Ubuntu 22.04 daily, and openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael good test but can oc this celeron using Base Frecuency Boost of asrock mainboard?

Comment

faster Linux sounds like #t2sde's smart optimization https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtDBDziXMg4

Comment

Since Clear is pretty painful to use as a generic host due to its software distribution model, if you are wondering how to leverage some of it on your system, read these!
        [1] https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ox-Clear-Linux
        [2] https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ontainers-2022

It goes without saying that you could also use it as a host while using Distrobox to get stuff from other distributions; it works both ways.
        Not the first time I point this out in the comments, so hopefully it's on-topic enough and proves useful to someone; I think the freedom of not having to commit to a certain distribution's repositories (just because it happened to be a sensible choice as a host system) is beautiful. And as you'll see in that second link, there should be no performance overhead attributable to the container itself.
        Cheers.

Comment

Any chance we could get a boot/install test of the major *BSDs on this Alder Lake Celeron? I was reading in the FreeBSD errata that came out yesterday that these new processors support 57bit memory addressing and will refuse to install FreeBSD 13.0, you have to provide a loader option to disable I think it is called 5 page table memory. Would be curious to see if FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD can even boot the darn thing or if the other *BSDs need workarounds too! Don't need to see any benchmarks because like you said in another post your TODO list is super long as it is.

Comment

In some tests, that's enough of a performance boost to make it seem like HT was enabled.

Comment

I'm interested in build configuration ClearLinux used to compile Firefox, the gains should be noticeable in everyday use, has anybody looked into it? Wonder how it differs from gentoo's ebuild.

Comment

Would this Alder Lake Celeron compare to the AMD Athlon Gold Pro GE series?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  In some tests, that's enough of a performance boost to make it seem like HT was enabled.
                  Not compared to the Pentium G7400, the world's best dual-core, I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                    ...57bit memory addressing...
                    Did the other 7 bits go on holiday, or were they stolen?

edit: Because I know humour doesn't work too well on the internet, this is a joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X