Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi's Raspbian OS Finally Spins 64-bit Version

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi's Raspbian OS Finally Spins 64-bit Version

While the Raspberry Pi 3 and newer have featured 64-bit Cortex CPU cores and even the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 is 64-bit-capable, Raspbian OS as the official Raspberry Pi operating system has remained 32-bit. Finally in 2022 they now have an official 64-bit build...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I need to go look into this at least for my Rpi4. I don't think the 1GB Rpi3, and 3+ boards will benefit much from it vs the losses from decreased memory efficiency. Might be nice to see if this makes much difference for benchmarks. I'm really curious how they pulled off the magic to get the guest OS to be 64 bits when the host was just 32. There's got to be a lot of painful kludging going on there.

Please don't use this on the Zero 2 W unless you really know what you're doing!

Comment

Is video decoding in hardware (h.264 & h.265) working now?

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
        I need to go look into this at least for my Rpi4. I don't think the 1GB Rpi3, and 3+ boards will benefit much from it vs the losses from decreased memory efficiency. Might be nice to see if this makes much difference for benchmarks. I'm really curious how they pulled off the magic to get the guest OS to be 64 bits when the host was just 32. There's got to be a lot of painful kludging going on there.

Please don't use this on the Zero 2 W unless you really know what you're doing!
        On the Rpi4 it is very nice to have this up and running - especially if you want to use docker + docker compose.

Comment

I use 32-bit RPi OS with the 8 GiB model and I'll probably stick with it unless there is an obvious performance benefit.

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
          Hahah

Comment

I've been using openSUSE MicroOS 64-bit on my RPi4 for quite some time already, with cockpit and podman containers. Works great.

Comment

IIRC yes, but you have to use the following in your config.txt:

Code:
              dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-512
              dtoverlay=rpivid-v4l2

Comment

Why wouldn't it? RPi has been a common platform for watching stolen movies with OpenELEC since 2012.

Comment

Didn't they make a big fuss, ~2 years ago, about how they're switching from "Raspbian" to "Raspberry Pi OS". I realize that page linked by the article still says Raspbian, in a few places, but a lot more mentions of "Raspberry Pi OS".

One thing I didn't like about Raspbian was how much it sounded like Rasputin.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
                    I use 32-bit RPi OS with the 8 GiB model and I'll probably stick with it unless there is an obvious performance benefit.
                    Huh? Using a 64-bit kernel, or how does that work?

Comment

Working...
                    X