Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Looks To Drop Its Partner Archive In Favor Of The Snap Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    drakonas777 Lots of Red Hat paid trolls on Phoronix (a bit like Russian infiltrators) spewing nonsense and trying to discredit other companies.
    I am pretty sure it won't have an effect on you, but I should point out that snaps are garbage compared to flatpaks. Slow start times and big updates and auto updates. Now start preaching how I am a Red Hat troll too.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

AppImage is better than Snap the same way Spotify is better than Firefox.
      Are you trying to say they are meant for different things?

Both consist in compressed disk images that contain applications and its dependencies, and both work by mounting. They're meant to solve the exact same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post

I am pretty sure it won't have an effect on you, but I should point out that snaps are garbage compared to flatpaks. Slow start times and big updates and auto updates. Now start preaching how I am a Red Hat troll too.
        The slow start times were fixed in July 2020, I think. Updates are small because packages are compressed and snaps that were made after 2014 can use shared dependencies. Snaps also support delta upgrades, making them even smaller. You decide when to upgrade, but it is true that you must check for updates at least once every 60 days, but if you want more control, just run the snap proxy server in your network and you can make all the decisions you want. I personally don't want billions of unmaintained IoT devices getting hacked and used as a weapon to destroy the internet.

To even compare Snap with Flatpak is just silly, because Flatpak is only for desktop applications and nothing else. It has almost no features compared to Snap, RPM or APT.

Firefox is able to play music, but that does not make it a music player. It's just silly to compare AppImage or Flatpak with systems like Snap, RPM or APT, because they are two distinctly different groups of software even though there is some overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by landeel View Post
          AppImage is so much better in every way.
          Snap pollutes the whole system, and even makes boot slower. Argh!
          upstart was a mistake?, las time i check even red hat use that.

say one please.
          I cant remember one, they are more slow, when we need to delete they always something beyond, no autoupdates.

Comment

Originally posted by landeel View Post
            Are you trying to say they are meant for different things?
            They are, yes.

Both consist in compressed disk images that contain applications and its dependencies, and both work by mounting. They're meant to solve the exact same problem.
            Both Spotify and Firefox can play music, hence they're the exact same thing? No. That is a feature overlap. Spotify might be a better music player than Firefox, but for most things people do, Firefox is a much better tool than Spotify.

Try to build a Linux distro using AppImage or Flatpak and you will see why they are not similar to RPM, APT and Snap, even if RPM, APT and Snap can all provide desktop applications.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

And what are the things we don't understand? I think the one who doesn't understand things is you. You don't understand that the reason Snaps even exist is nothing but satisfying Canonical's bottom line. As I said, if Canonical really cared about the Linux desktop as a whole, they would've contributed to Flatpaks instead of reinventing the wheel.
              Snaps work well for you? Good. But for many others they suck and many are already saying that the Flatpak version of the same app works much better
              snaps are better in some things flatpaks in others, snaps at least are centralized, flatpaks can and will fragment things like ppa did in past, everyone have its one repo i thing is bad thing again, but ok, i use both depends the app and want both since they both push software to linux. some work better with snap other with flatpak 3d for example works better with snap.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

And what are the things we don't understand? I think the one who doesn't understand things is you. You don't understand that the reason Snaps even exist is nothing but satisfying Canonical's bottom line. As I said, if Canonical really cared about the Linux desktop as a whole, they would've contributed to Flatpaks instead of reinventing the wheel.
                Snaps work well for you? Good. But for many others they suck and many are already saying that the Flatpak version of the same app works much better
                man without canonical pushing linux desktop we today dont even have it, the only company who pushs desktop was canonical, redhat give up many years ago, suse the same, debian is for servers, mint is only a ubuntu with another DE, arch is unstable like hell, everything brokes when a mjaor de comes out, canonical continue to push a pro desktop, unity was great maybe the best desktop out there at least a pro desktop, gnome only become a good thing after they come back to them, kde is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Snaps are really great, as was Upstart. Mir is still a great product that is doing well.
                  I tried them few times and always failed. Eclipse from snaps was/is unusable. Upstart was a mess and forced you to manually edit files to disable unwanted services. Mir is nowhere close to Wayland/Mutter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                    drakonas777 Lots of Red Hat paid trolls on Phoronix (a bit like Russian infiltrators) spewing nonsense and trying to discredit other companies.
                    Canonical already discredited itself by working with M$. M$ gets everything while Ubuntu gets nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I tried them few times and always failed. Eclipse from snaps was/is unusable. Upstart was a mess and forced you to manually edit files to disable unwanted services. Mir is nowhere close to Wayland/Mutter.
                      You are obviously being that vague on purpose, in order to make it totally impossible to respond.

Comment

Working...
                      X