(open)SUSE Announces D-Installer: Working On A Web-Based Distro Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (open)SUSE Announces D-Installer: Working On A Web-Based Distro Installer

Phoronix: (open)SUSE Announces D-Installer: Working On A Web-Based Distro Installer

In addition to the Fedora / Red Hat Anaconda installer working on a web-based implementation, openSUSE/SUSE is also exploring a web-based installation front-end built atop their existing YaST. They are developing this new web front-end as the "D-Installer" project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the purpose behind making it web based?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
      Maybe that is some sort of minimum specs limitation? To run a browser you need 16 cores, 32 gigs of ram...

Comment

Don't quote me on this, but thinking maybe remote GUI style installs on headless servers could now be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

Don't quote me on this, but thinking maybe remote GUI style installs on headless servers could now be an option.
          wasn't that vnc remote gui installs ?

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

Who runs headless servers but isn't comfortable in a TUI?

Comment

I don't love the name. D-Installer sounds like "de-installer" (i.e. uninstaller).

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                Who runs headless servers but isn't comfortable in a TUI?
                Maybe the end-goal isn't so much the web interface, but it's that installer service lets the bolt on other sorts of frontends, such as those supporting bulk management of many machines.

Comment

VM management and remote installations. Those are some of the few things where "installer" and "web" have an overlap. Fire up Firefox and monitor all the VMs in use spread out across the 14 servers in your company or because it's Saturday, Johnny Dumbass somehow broke his PC yet again, and you don't want to go to the office for the 15 minutes the nuclear option of a full OS reinstall is going to take.

Or for some fun trash-talking using their own words:

Contributors: We expect more people to contribute to the project by making the code more accessible and using widely-known technologies.
                  They need y'all to rewrite their spaghetti code in to something more accessible and use widely-known technologies while you're at it. I suggest MS Visual Basic.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    Maybe the end-goal isn't so much the web interface, but it's that installer service lets the bolt on other sorts of frontends, such as those supporting bulk management of many machines.
                    Good point.

Comment

Working...
                    X