Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Planning To Stick With Linux 5.15 By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

It’s optional, that’s the thing. Only advanced users who are trying to squeeze a few more fps should be tinkering with PPAs and such. But it’s not rocket science, either. However what happens is they forget about maintenance and cleanup and all that cruft builds up and bloats the OS and causes issues. That’s why a fresh install mostly “just works.”

This is also why Michael runs benchmarks with default settings. You have no control of what a user does after they install an OS.

20.04 LTS is only from 04/20, that’s not ancient. Mesa and the kernel were in a good place then. But yes they’re in a better place now, but users can update to the new LTS in a couple months and get all improvements.
    Hell, frigging Ubuntu offers this checkbox called HWE that'll give the user basically the same stuff that the PPAs offer...kernels and mesa and shit like that; stuff might be a hair older because it's the stable release, not the -git version.

Y'all Ubuntu users don't even need to use the "add moar PPAs" defense these days.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Hell, frigging Ubuntu offers this checkbox called HWE that'll give the user basically the same stuff that the PPAs offer...kernels and mesa and shit like that; stuff might be a hair older because it's the stable release, not the -git version.

Y'all Ubuntu users don't even need to use the "add moar PPAs" defense these days.
      That's fair, lol. These are the PPAs I currently use on 21.10, haven't needed anything other than these. And even then, these aren't *necessary* for daily operation.

$ l /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
      archive_uri-https_dl_winehq_org_wine-builds_ubuntu_-impish.list
      dropbox.list
      google-chrome.list
      lunarg-vulkan-focal.list
      oibaf-ubuntu-graphics-drivers-impish.list
      openrazer-ubuntu-stable-impish.list
      pipewire-debian-ubuntu-pipewire-upstream-impish.list
      protonvpn-stable.list
      spotify.list
      sublime-text.list
      ubuntuhandbook1-ubuntu-gvfs-impish.list
      ubuntu-toolchain-r-ubuntu-test-impish.list

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

That's fair, lol. These are the PPAs I currently use on 21.10, haven't needed anything other than these. And even then, these aren't *necessary* for daily operation.

$ l /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
        archive_uri-https_dl_winehq_org_wine-builds_ubuntu_-impish.list
        dropbox.list
        google-chrome.list
        lunarg-vulkan-focal.list
        oibaf-ubuntu-graphics-drivers-impish.list
        openrazer-ubuntu-stable-impish.list
        pipewire-debian-ubuntu-pipewire-upstream-impish.list
        protonvpn-stable.list
        spotify.list
        sublime-text.list
        ubuntuhandbook1-ubuntu-gvfs-impish.list
        ubuntu-toolchain-r-ubuntu-test-impish.list
        Looks to be mostly drivers, proprietary things not offered in the repos, and some "I've read Phoronix in the past week or two" entries:

That's the same as what I use the AUR for

Comment

Originally posted by Terr-E View Post
          You can't have both at the same time, unless you are able to spend billions of $¥€ like Microsoft and Apple are doing.
          M$ and apple don't have this either.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
            Ubuntu for gaming? With old Gnome (as for now) without gaming performance improvements, Kernel and mesa? Good joke. Fedora FTW.
            It's the ONLY distro Valve officially support, that's why people game on it

Comment

As a Debian user I can understand the selection of 5.25 for LTS Ubuntu.

I just wonder - why Ubuntu at all? Snaps, Lock-In, Canonical... why? also upstream Debian provides Gnome, KDE, XFCE et al from a single distribution without spreading it thin with Kubuntu, Xubuntu spin-offs; they're just packages on a base system, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
                As a Debian user I can understand the selection of 5.25 for LTS Ubuntu.

I just wonder - why Ubuntu at all? Snaps, Lock-In, Canonical... why? also upstream Debian provides Gnome, KDE, XFCE et al from a single distribution without spreading it thin with Kubuntu, Xubuntu spin-offs; they're just packages on a base system, after all.
                Simple, my dear Debian upstream:

Ubuntu is the only LTS distro that also provides an official 1000 Hz + PREEMPT Linux kernel (lowlatency), which just so happens to be a very nice fit for gaming purposes, aswell as provide for an overall better desktop experience, too.

Just can't find this much convenience on any other enterprise-focused distro out there, that's all!

Comment

By the time Ubuntu 22.04 is released the kernel will be 2 releases old.
                  Awful as always, especially if you have somewhat newer hardware.
                  Ubuntu clearly doesn't care about performance, gaming or otherwise and of course it doesn't care about hardware compatibility ans support.
                  And combined with the disgusting forced push of Snap crap on everybody, this release will be double awful than usual!

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post

It's the ONLY distro Valve officially support, that's why people game on it
                    Currently yes, but the steam deck is arch based so this will likely change when its released

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Simple, my dear Debian upstream:

Ubuntu is the only LTS distro that also provides an official 1000 Hz + PREEMPT Linux kernel (lowlatency), which just so happens to be a very nice fit for gaming purposes, aswell as provide for an overall better desktop experience, too.

Just can't find this much convenience on any other enterprise-focused distro out there, that's all!
                    Yeah unfortunately a huge amount of game/performance related changes have landed in kernel after 5.15 (see Valve's recent upstream work for steam deck).

I also don't see this work from Valve as temporary so it seems like for the ongoing future Valve will stick with rolling release distro.
                    Last edited by mdedetrich; 15 January 2022, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      ..For noobs, and my experienced ass for that matter, it's easier to leverage Steam than it is to install a shitload of old libraries and write launch scripts to use tweaked $PATHs.

Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora, Slackware, Manjaro, Gentoo, Mageia, Tumbleweed. It doesn't really matter which when we're essentially constrained to how well the Steam Runtime performs
                      Because Steam includes all those shitload old and 32bit libraries so us using it doesn't have to. Kinda like snaps etc. The apps itself have their own libraries. So there won't be incompatibilities caused by libraries.

Comment

Working...
                      X