No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Planning To Stick With Linux 5.15 By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of me understands very well how one would want an LTS release of an OS to consist of as many LTS components as possible, but this also demonstrates the uncomfortable split that Canonical seems to be in; they want a rock solid, stable OS on one side, but on the other they want to "make Ubuntu the best Linux desktop for gaming", which requires at the very least bleeding edge kernels and graphics support.

You can't have both at the same time, unless you are able to spend billions of $¥€ like Microsoft and Apple are doing. Canonical is simply not at that level, financially. Fast, stable, cheap. Choose two.
    Perhaps a configuration option ( during installation or somewhere else ) to choose between Stability (LTS) or Performance (HWE) will have to be implemented at some point ?

Comment

Well, right now I am using Xubuntu both at home and at work. Normally, at work I run the LTS version, but right now I am on 21.10 because I just got a new Ryzen APU based machine and something in it is too new for the last LTS release to cope with. At home I am running 21.10 with a PPA for mesa, and Mainline installed to make newer kernels available (though the newest kernels have some kind of 22.04 dependency right now). I don't feel deprived. I'm running an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X and an AMD 6900 XT, and performance seems pretty good to me. I'm not that concerned with whether it's the absolute best I could be getting. I think my current balance between convenience and bleeding edge performance works fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post
        Good example as to why Ubuntu isn't used for gaming much now

Gaming desktops * need * access to the latest kernel/mesa/nvidia drivers by default to be useful
        I don't have any trouble using ubuntu for gaming. my GTX 960M is not new so all the LTS drivers and software are ok in my case. I love ubuntu.

if I had money to always buy newest hardware I'd use another distro or non-LTS version, though.
        Last edited by bcellin; 14 January 2022, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I think Ubuntu's hwe and hwe-edge kernels are a pretty good compromise to get an updated kernel on their LTS releases.

Comment

Those bashing LTS users... you do realize one can install a Mesa PPA and within a couple seconds install a newer Ubuntu kernel or a xanmod kernel.

Tell me exactly again how Ubuntu LTS isn't used for gaming? When literally every guide recommends LTS? I think you guys are living in your own world. For what its worth, I run 21.10 but the point stands. And I guarantee my desktop runs faster than any of yours. Not being a dick, some people just need a wake up call on their high horse. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post
              Good example as to why Ubuntu isn't used for gaming much now

Gaming desktops * need * access to the latest kernel/mesa/nvidia drivers by default to be useful
              Oh my god! And I have been gaming now for two years on my 20.04. Frequently. Without any problems. What have I missed?

Comment

And this shows why Canonical cannot win in any way, in the view of some in the Linux community. If they do a LTS release without a official Linux LTS kernel, people complain that Canonical is wasting resources maintaining their own kernel. If Canonical release a LTS with a older kernel, it should have been a newer one because I said so.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  And this shows why Canonical cannot win in any way, in the view of some in the Linux community. If they do a LTS release without a official Linux LTS kernel, people complain that Canonical is wasting resources maintaining their own kernel. If Canonical release a LTS with a older kernel, it should have been a newer one because I said so.
                  Then can, just do two ubuntu version:
                  - ubuntu enterprise LTS
                  - ubuntu desktop with is more of a rolling release.
                  You just can not make one distro with fits enterprise long term support and gaming/regular users.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Oh my god! And I have been gaming now for two years on my 20.04. Frequently. Without any problems. What have I missed?
                    I believe that "gaiming" term a bit wider.
                    Mostly "linux gaming" means to play Windows games on Linux rather than play games designed for crossplatform like Dota2, CS:GO, TeamFortress 2, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

And guess who is the most used Linux OS in the latest Steam Survey...

Some people live in their own bubbles. In their view, if they think or do something in a particular way, everybody does. It reminds me of a kid I saw in some news comments, were he/she asked "who still uses e-mail?". That poor soul are in for a big surprise once he/she became a adult.

Comment

Working...
                      X