Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Planning To Stick With Linux 5.15 By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wertigon View Post
    And what, pray tell, is stopping Ubuntu from backporting certain important drivers to 5.15?

No, you do not need the most recent kernel to have the most recent hardware. It helps but is not a must.

Remember that very few gamers use the latest and greatest, less than 5 percent according to Steam HW survey.
    This.
    Ubuntu's kernel is not vanilla kernel, there are backports for some hardware support and security fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

The problem with HES or custom PPAs are they are not default, a new Linux user is gonna try Ubuntu, since it is consider to be the "to go distro" for new users and find out that it works like crap on they new laptop/desktop because it doesn't have working drivers for half the hardware they have and they gonna say "f**** this, I am going back to Windows".
      About Virtualbox, I don't get it, I am running Virtualbox on 5.16 working just fine, Arch never pushed a kernel update to stable if stuff like Virtualbox/Nvidia driver isn't working.
      This only shows how unmaintainable Ubuntu is once you go anything beyond the provided defaults.
      HWE is default on re-spun LTS images - it's only when you need to support newly installed hardware (or using an old install image) that you need to manually install the related package. Bleeding edge Mesa support needs a PPA, but most users won't need to bother except, again, if they installed recent hardware on an old install (or hardware so recent it's not in an image yet).
      Kernel : Ubuntu provides kernel versions that do work with most user-installable software. In my case though, I wanted to install a more recent version of Virtualbox than provided by Ubuntu, to get a fix for a bug in Virtualbox (more specifically, auto disk image shrink on emulated TRIM); if I try and install a very recent kernel image from the mainline PPA, there's a good chance the Virtualbox modules won't compile properly against it.
      It's not a Ubuntu problem, it's a VB one.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
        It's not a Ubuntu problem, it's a VB one.
        No, it is not a VB problem, as I said I never had that issue on Arch, getting fast kernel updates and VB always work against it. I assume Ubuntu doesn't provide VB updates too.
        So yes, 100% a Ubuntu problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
          No, it is not a VB problem, as I said I never had that issue on Arch, getting fast kernel updates and VB always work against it. I assume Ubuntu doesn't provide VB updates too.
          So yes, 100% a Ubuntu problem.
          I repeat, I only updated VB because I wanted a VB bugfix for a specific use case; had I not needed it, I wouldn't have had any problem. As for rolling releases, I had enough problems last time I tried one - I work on my Linux PC, I don't want to bother with stuff like cleaning up Python script caches manually on a libxml2 update. That's why I'm on a LTS - I still enjoy being able to add recent stuff to it, thus why I'm not on Debian Stable.
          If I still had the time to tinker daily, I'd be on Arch, probably.
          I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post

I repeat, I only updated VB because I wanted a VB bugfix for a specific use case; had I not needed it, I wouldn't have had any problem. As for rolling releases, I had enough problems last time I tried one - I work on my Linux PC, I don't want to bother with stuff like cleaning up Python script caches manually on a libxml2 update. That's why I'm on a LTS - I still enjoy being able to add recent stuff to it, thus why I'm not on Debian Stable.
            If I still had the time to tinker daily, I'd be on Arch, probably.
            I don't.
            This doesn't change anything in what I said. Broken old VB after a kernel update is not a VB problem, they do provide newer version with work with newer kernels, you are making you system yourself incompatible in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
              It's the same as usual. If you need bleeding edge packages to do your stuff on your computer you must choose a distro that does this, out of the box. Ubuntu does not and will never do. The focus of Canonical with Ubuntu on the desktop is for developers which will later on choose Ubuntu to run their workloads. Which tbh is probably a massive chunk of the Linux user demographics.

That being said, there are stablished third party ubuntu repositories for up to date graphics drivers and mesa, and Canonical themselves provide a repository with (non-customized) binaries for all mainline kernels. But as much as I love Ubuntu, I'd personally run something else if I were to game on a computer. Which I wouldn't.
              What OS would you run if you were to game on a computer? I am an advanced Linux user, the other other one I have considered using was Linux Mint. (besides the other non-LTS version of Ubuntu) I have older hardware(GTX770 & Ryzen1) on Ubuntu's 20.04LTS and it has been good enough for me for the random games that the hardware can handle. I am sure there are better options out there for linux gaming,... but from what I have read it doesnt sound like a different OS would make a big FPS difference for my hardware config.

Comment

This discussion is nonesens.
                Everyone just argumenting that distro A works fine on their config and distro B doesn't, therefore distro A is better and everyone should use it.

Just subjective opinions w/o any justifications which give to reader nothing except wasted time.
                Last edited by RedEyed; 17 January 2022, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post
                  This discussion is nonesens.
                  Everyone just argumenting that distro A works fine on their config and distro B doesn't, therefore distro A is better and everyone should use it.

Just subjective opinions w/o any justifications which give to reader nothing except wasted time.
                  Each person have different needs and wants. I personally like reading about how/what works best for other people. I like using Ubuntu because it works for me,... but it would feel wrong for me to tell everyone else to use it.

But yes, this discussion seems to have fallen apart with out any clear direction from personal preferences.

Comment

Working...
                  X