No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 9.04 Gets Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I was all primed to replace 8.04 with 9.04 but now that i've burnt the disc & booted into the livecd I'm having second thoughts...

I'm concerned about xf86-video-ati performance with compiz (I have an r500), & fan speed.

& a bigger gripe, although most folk will think this a minor issue.....
    wtf happened to the System/Quit button in gnome? I use cairo-dock & I'm not sure what the 'quit' button is going to do now(didn't work properly in intrepid), will it bring me the logout/switch user window or the shutdown window? I'd like to have one window with logout/shutdown/restart/ etc etc etc (like hardy)

As I said it's a pretty minor issue with probably an easy fix, but I've googled around & haven't found a solution. It's bugging me soooo much at the moment that I'm hesitating the upgrade.

?

Comment

Need powersaving features working

powernow-k8 seems to be compiled into the generic kernel - if it was a module I could replace it with a working one - at least partially, because userspace and ondemand governor have never worked on my everun note. Too bad that noone cares about bugs that were already present in 8.10. powernow-k8 source

My other problem is that fglrx 9.3 doesn't support X.org 1.6 and fglrx 9.4 doesn't support my RS690M. The free radeon driver has only basic 3D support and I can't play games like Jack Keane.

Comment

Originally posted by Schugy View Post
        powernow-k8 seems to be compiled into the generic kernel - if it was a module I could replace it with a working one - at least partially, because userspace and ondemand governor have never worked on my everun note. Too bad that noone cares about bugs that were already present in 8.10. powernow-k8 source

My other problem is that fglrx 9.3 doesn't support X.org 1.6 and fglrx 9.4 doesn't support my RS690M. The free radeon driver has only basic 3D support and I can't play games like Jack Keane.
        For what it's worth, I'm sort of in the same situation, but I have a Mobility X1400. I LIKE THE OPEN SOURCE DRIVER BETTER. I can keep compiz on and watch videos (before, going full screen and out of full screen a few times would crash X.) I can play Warcraft III in WINE on battle.net full screen while keeping compiz on. I LOVE IT!

Now, I do realize that fglrx added in redirected rendering, so I miss that, but this (EDIT: the combination of 9.04 and the open source radeon driver) is by far more stable. The "Lattice" screensaver results in a hard lock with the open driver, though.

Other than that, I have almost no regrets jumping into Ubuntu 9.04 and the open source driver on day one... except the annoying beep when I shut down. This beep sounds like the beep that pcspkr makes, but it actually comes through the real speakers. They're supposedly working on a fix, though.

Comment

Originally posted by LOLatMS View Post
          For what it's worth, I'm sort of in the same situation, but I have a Mobility X1400. I LIKE THE OPEN SOURCE DRIVER BETTER. I can keep compiz on and watch videos (before, going full screen and out of full screen a few times would crash X.) I can play Warcraft III in WINE on battle.net full screen while keeping compiz on. I LOVE IT!

Now, I do realize that fglrx added in redirected rendering, so I miss that, but this (EDIT: the combination of 9.04 and the open source radeon driver) is by far more stable. The "Lattice" screensaver results in a hard lock with the open driver, though.

Other than that, I have almost no regrets jumping into Ubuntu 9.04 and the open source driver on day one... except the annoying beep when I shut down. This beep sounds like the beep that pcspkr makes, but it actually comes through the real speakers. They're supposedly working on a fix, though.
          I have had that beep in all the ubuntu's so far.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
            I have had that beep in all the ubuntu's so far.
            Oh, I see. I've been blacklisting pcspkr in each Ubuntu install, but every time Ubuntu comes out six months later, I forget that I did that. After a few days, I remember the things I had to do to set up Ubuntu again. So if you don't mind blacklisting pcspkr, you can add the line "blacklist pcspkr" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Comment

So I just gave the Kubuntu 9.04 LiveCD a try and it actually seems pretty sweet. I didn't stumble upon any of the mentioned bugs (localisation is working fine (de), atleast for all KDE-standard-apps and 2d-performance seems good as well (using radeon)).
              I guess it's a good distribution to recommend linux-starters, but it's not gonna replace my Gentoo-install, since it still has *buntus (in my eye) design-mistakes (mainly not having rolling-releases).

Comment

I have just tested 9.04 and it's buggy, buggy and buggy.

Comment

Haven't noticed any serious bugs, except for Compiz being a bit slower (window transformation). Even Pulseaudio seems to be far more stable (it has yet to crash on me or kill sound). 64bit Kubuntu does seem buggy however, since I can't go 2 minutes without that crash notification thing show up on my desktop.

Comment

Jaunty was pretty boring, really nothing to get excited about in my opinion. I've upgraded to karmic testing already, hopefully this will be a much better version (don't think it'll ever make me switch from Arch though)

Comment

Working...
                    X