No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 9.04 Gets Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.2.x has entered Debian unstable. The Q2 '09 release of Sidux should offer KDE 4.2.x and Xfce 4.6.x

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
      I'd rather have Kubuntu dropped and more work put into Ubuntu/Xubuntu. KDE is a pack of bloat built upon half-proprietary bloat.
      What is in KDE proprietary? I didn't new that...

I would drop GNOME because of the superiority of Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Overall, a great release. But it's not all fine. Intel users experience problems, I've heard of R3xx Mesa problems, Kubuntu has broken language packages thanks to Rosetta
        What is Rosetta? Is it the Apple Roseta or something else?

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
        What is in KDE proprietary? I didn't new that...

I would drop GNOME because of the superiority of Qt.
        I would say you guys both make very bad/childish arguments, and need to think before you hit the 'Save' button.
        Last edited by MaestroMaus; 23 April 2009, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
          Rosetta is the translation web application on launch pad. Rosetta will display a package and its translation status, what strings have been translated, which ones have not, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post

I would say you guys both make very bad/childish arguments, and need to think before you hit the 'Save' button.
            susikala said: "I'd rather have Kubuntu dropped and more work put into Ubuntu/Xubuntu. KDE is a pack of bloat built upon half-proprietary bloat"... So I say "I would drop GNOME because of the superiority of Qt."

What's the difference? A bad argument deserves a poor response.

Comment

KDE 4.2.2 can be used with lenny too. Just KDE 3.5 or KDE 4.2 apps can be localized due to package conflicts. Not sure if both packages could be installed in parallel with a little modification. At least KDE 4.2.2 is nothing that could not be used without using Kubuntu or Debian unstable.

Also you can use fglrx with r500 and older cards that way. New distros usually use Xserver 1.6 which is problematic for those cards.

Comment

I am running Kubuntu 9.04 now and translations have improved since the Release Candidate (yes, the one that was around last week). But it is still not complete and the situation as a whole was not too cool and it was not the first time this happened.

Comment

I don't get all that kubuntu bashing... At least they provide a Qt only distro with many of ubuntu guis ported to Qt.

Compare that to debian which aside from main main GNOME desktop provides a KDE cd with GTK+ apps ... Oh and all Debian centric GUIs are in GTK+... New Aptititude GUI ? Yes you guessed it's in GTK+

So saying anything about moving to Debian (or even worse the most gnome centric Fedora) because kubuntu sucks for KDE is kind of silly ...

That said kubuntu for sure is not perfect.

Comment

I just moved to Kubuntu since 9.04. Ubuntu is just too boring, and no big changes since 8.04。

Comment

I would stick with Kubuntu if it weren't because of all the crashes. 64bit gives me more hassles than 32bit, so I just relegate Kubuntu to my laptop. Been spoiled by Compiz and its plugins as well. Overall, Kubuntu is a great KDE implementation.
                      By the way, is anyone having problems with the "sphere" and "cylinder" desktop effect in KWIN? I can't seem to get them to work. Only the "Cube" effect works. Some of the effects don't seem to work either for me, like maximize desktop.
                      Last edited by Melcar; 23 April 2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X