Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat / Fedora Anaconda Installer Shifting To A Web Based UI

Phoronix: Red Hat / Fedora Anaconda Installer Shifting To A Web Based UI

The Red Hat / Fedora Anaconda installer for carrying out new operating system installs is in the early stages of a major rewrite to its user-interface and moving forward will be web-based...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, modernizing means adding bloat...

A web-based installer may be very nice for easier remote installations, but otherwise......

Comment

I was hoping I would be the first one 'to market' with a web-based installer... time is slipping away.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        So, modernizing means adding bloat...

A web-based installer may be very nice for easier remote installations, but otherwise......
        Bloat was a fact once they moved to live disks for installation.

Comment

Looks like new Fedora releases with this fancy new installer will require at the very least 8GB of RAM just to be installed.

Progress!
          Last edited by birdie; 11 January 2022, 07:16 PM. Reason: s/d//

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Looks like new Fedora releases with this fancy new installer will required at the very least 8GB of RAM just to be installed.

Progress!
            What's more ironic is that these supposedly simpler flat design UIs consume MORE resources than skeuomorphic design ones...

Comment

The one thing I can agree with is that anaconda needs to be reworked. While it may have felt advanced 20 years ago, it is time for it to evolve (I have found it especially hard to deal with with newer disk/filesystem capabilities). I will reserve judgement on the new approach until I can see some screen shots and try it out (and yes, I will probably complain about change, because, well, finger muscle memory), but I wish them success.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Looks like new Fedora releases with this fancy new installer will required at the very least 8GB of RAM just to be installed.

Progress!
                I doubt it really requires that much physical RAM. However, I'm willing to bet they are launching some version of Chromium plus a web server back end to make this work, so it does use more RAM than the previous setup will. This is squarely aimed at IoT and server installs, yes, thank you for everyone* thinking they're Google and require such over designed and engineered software.

*enough everyones to come up with this bloated nonsensical install system and approve it.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

I doubt it really requires that much physical RAM.
                  It's a joke...

Comment

So, if the machine canĀ“t run the installer, then it won't run a browser neither. Saves the test install for a really underpowered desktop machine.

Comment

Working...
                    X