Red Hat / Fedora Anaconda Installer Shifting To A Web Based UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

That's the only reason that can justify the idea to web technologies. You will not maintain two versions of the installer because it's duplicating the work stupidly, but web technologies for a local installer sounds like a lazy work.

Today we have tons of bloated website and I don't see people complaining about that.
    we also have Bloated Browser, just look at Vivaldi,

Comment

>installer made using electron
      Into the fucking trash it goes!

Allow anaconda to allow installing the system using partitions created manually via CLI they don't want it, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
        I'm a simple man, I like debootstrap or Debian netinst.
        Does Red Hat have something similar?
        The Redhat based distros have net install images.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
          I'm a simple man, I like debootstrap or Debian netinst.
          Does Red Hat have something similar?
          nah they want to 'ubuntu' their installer

Comment

Originally posted by Indomitable View Post
            This is really good idea, especially for admins which will allow to open the browser and install multiple machines at once. Locally I doubt it will need more than 2GB of RAM, but come on it is 2022 and nigher GNOME or KDE run with 2GB of memory, if you have so low memory there are other distributions. It needs a lightweight http server which can consume ~50-100MB and a WebView to display for another 200MB.
            That is entirely too bad solution for that. Much better would have been an approach were you can pre-bake installer image and than just use automated install with boot from network.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
              Allow anaconda to allow installing the system using partitions created manually via CLI they don't want it, right?

The text based interface allows this and it isn't going anywhere. Only the GTK3 frontend is going to be replaced by the Cockpit/Web based one. Backed will remain the same (more or less) and kickstart and text interface will still be available.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

I doubt it really requires that much physical RAM. However, I'm willing to bet they are launching some version of Chromium plus a web server back end to make this work, so it does use more RAM than the previous setup will. This is squarely aimed at IoT and server installs, yes, thank you for everyone* thinking they're Google and require such over designed and engineered software.

*enough everyones to come up with this bloated nonsensical install system and approve it.
                Sorry but this is just not true. No serious IoT hardware is administered by performing manual linux installs. New releases are automatically bult using CI/CD pipelines and shipped to the device as either a full image or some kind of binary diff. In fact, the only people who invoke these installers anymore are essentially hobbyists/personal servers. Say what you will about the installer but there is zero commercial interest in this sort of thing

Comment

please install Chrome first ....AAAHHHH

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

That is entirely too bad solution for that. Much better would have been an approach were you can pre-bake installer image and than just use automated install with boot from network.
                    Fedora CoreOS kinda works like this. With Ignition, you can pre-bake all config, from disk layout down to system services.

Comment

From a different perspective, how difficult would it be to (re-)architect GTK so that it could compile for a "web" target?

Comment

Working...
                      X