Red Hat / Fedora Anaconda Installer Shifting To A Web Based UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freaking lazy devs...

That's because of people like them that we have systems that are only a bit faster than 20 years while the computers are hundred of times faster...

Disgusting. 34 Billions of bs magic money from IBM and not even be able to code correctly......

Comment

I have to admit, the screenshot of the old Anaconda installer made me a little bit sad: a clean, well structured UI with back/next buttons on the buttom (instead of crazy GNOME3 like UI where everything is just different to be different - like the next button top left - WTF).

Comment

no good, get rid of it an go back to the GTK based UI

Comment

A web based installer is not such a bad idea really. If the installer works with Lynx as the browser it is all good. I much prefer text mode installers. I don't see one single god reason why a graphical installer is important at all.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I like the way Arch and Gentoo installs: manual and bash prompt. The ultimate in low memory usage (especially if you use something like lynx to view the manual).

Yes I know there is an optional installer fot Arch these days, I haven't tried it. (It has been so long since I touched Gentoo that I have no idea if they have an installer currently.)

An yes, I realise Arch and Gentoo isn't for everyone. But I found that I often had to resort to command line anyway even when installing other distro back in the day if you didn't want a simple partitioning scheme (e.g. Mdraid + lvm2 or cryptsetup + lvm2, or even all three). Probably users who want that know what they are doing anyway so...

​​

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
              I much prefer text mode installers. I don't see one single god reason why a graphical installer is important at all.
              Because text mode installers make your eyes bleed from the ugliness.

Comment

This is really good idea, especially for admins which will allow to open the browser and install multiple machines at once. Locally I doubt it will need more than 2GB of RAM, but come on it is 2022 and nigher GNOME or KDE run with 2GB of memory, if you have so low memory there are other distributions. It needs a lightweight http server which can consume ~50-100MB and a WebView to display for another 200MB.

Comment

I'm a simple man, I like debootstrap or Debian netinst.
                  Does Red Hat have something similar?
                  Last edited by Etherman; 11 January 2022, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What's more ironic is that these supposedly simpler flat design UIs consume MORE resources than skeuomorphic design ones...
                    I have no idea how that could be the case. As long as the images are the same dimensions and bit-depth, they'll take up the same amount of RAM and but the flatter icons should compress much better on disk.

Comment

Originally posted by Indomitable View Post
                      This is really good idea, especially for admins which will allow to open the browser and install multiple machines at once. Locally I doubt it will need more than 2GB of RAM, but come on it is 2022 and nigher GNOME or KDE run with 2GB of memory, if you have so low memory there are other distributions. It needs a lightweight http server which can consume ~50-100MB and a WebView to display for another 200MB.
                      That's the only reason that can justify the idea to web technologies. You will not maintain two versions of the installer because it's duplicating the work stupidly, but web technologies for a local installer sounds like a lazy work.

Today we have tons of bloated website and I don't see people complaining about that.

Comment

Working...
                      X