Fedora 36 Looking To Move Users Away From Legacy "ifcfg" Network Scripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    WHY??! At work that is how all of our Networking configuration is done in Cent6 and Cent7. Text configuration files make sense, it is the Unix way, everything is a file. Configuring ifcfg-em0 and ifcfg-em1 is so darn easy. Why make it harder?
    Because some people is just stupid, other just want to work in loops forever..

Comment

Slightly off topic, interesting that Fedora/RHEL have gone all-in on Networkmanager, whereas Debian and Ubuntu have decided to use Networkmanager only for workstation/laptop use cases and systemd-networkd for servers.

Comment

WHY??! At work that is how all of our Networking configuration is done in Cent6 and Cent7. Text configuration files make sense, it is the Unix way, everything is a file. Configuring ifcfg-em0 and ifcfg-em1 is so darn easy. Why make it harder?
        Because this is Fedora we are discussing, which is a desktop-oriented distro.

Comment

This is 2022, who needs networking any more? Stand-alone boxes and sneakernet is the only way to go.

Comment

Back when, we were happy to get away from 'sneaker net' using floppies.. We finally have networking to transfer files! Then IT gets involved..... Thou shalt not send files that way without jumping through our hoops. Can't simply globally share a folder! That's bad. Then our customers... Wahoo, we have E-mail now... Send a program or zip file to a customer with a click of button, great! Snail mail a thing of the past! No, that's bad. IT stops allowing that. Okay set up a ftp server, Great. Works perfectly. Later, No that's bad too.... Lets use thumb drives to transfer files to take home work. Great! No that's bad now. Can't use USB in corp machines. So many easy to use technologies get thrown under the bus in the name of security.

Kind of relates to this ifcnf. Was simple to use.... knew by heart. Modify a couple text files for static IPs and you had networking. a couple scripts to up/down interface. So simple. Also we had simple interface names like eth0, eth1. Easy to understand. Easy to use... Great! <slap> No that's bad. Now we have eno1, enp4s0, etc.... . Seems like we are always trying to event a better mouse trap, when the old works just fine. Instead of enhancing/add features ... We throw away that which was solid and rewrite. Result is, now every time I need to set a static IP, or disable dhcp, or whatever ... I have to search the net for 'how' and 'where' to look to make the changes for each distro that I might be using. So silly. In my mind.
            Last edited by rclark; 07 January 2022, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
              now every time I need to set a static IP, or disable dhcp, or whatever ... I have to search the ne
              May I suggest just remembering one command, nmtui?

Comment

Text configuration files make sense, it is the Unix way, everything is a file.
                keyfiles are also text files

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  I use ip link, iw dev, wpa_supplicant and dhclient to manage my interfaces.

Will removing ifcfg cause this to break?
                  subj isn't about removing ifcfg

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
                    Also we had simple interface names like eth0, eth1. Easy to understand. Easy to use... Great! <slap> No that's bad. Now we have eno1, enp4s0, etc....
                    Best thing that ever happened for managing network interfaces on Linux.

Had fucking enough of interface names changing every reboot and messing up ifcfg.

Comment

Working...
                    X