Fedora 36 Looking To Move Users Away From Legacy "ifcfg" Network Scripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 36 Looking To Move Users Away From Legacy "ifcfg" Network Scripts

Phoronix: Fedora 36 Looking To Move Users Away From Legacy "ifcfg" Network Scripts

Longtime Linux users will likely recall when it was commonplace to modify /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files for managing your network connections. Fortunately, that's largely a thing of the past and Fedora 36 is looking to remove support for those legacy network configuration files from new Fedora installs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

About friggin' time. Both this and netplan needs to die. NetworkManager is a consistent, universal solution that works great both on EL and Debian, both on servers and desktops. I have no idea why Ubuntu decided to go the netplan route other than the usual NIH (not invented here) syndrome. It solves nothing, only adds various new bugs to the mix.

So I hope netplan will go down in history like most of Canonical's NIH success stories, like Ubuntu Touch, Unity, LightDM, Bazaar, Mir, Snap, Upstart, Subiquity, and Autoinstall (because sticking to standard cloud-init would've KILLED).

In the early days, I trusted the internet regarding NetworkManager, coz most people had like a gag reflex when it come to it. So I put enormous efforts into ditching NM and using the usual /etc/network/interfaces stuff, but adjusting the configuration was a pure PITA and usually was only solved by rebooting the servers lol.

Then I figured, I might as well give NM a go. Never looked back. I have no idea why anyone would dump it in favor of anything else. Dynamic or static, command line or GUI, per-system (elevated) or per-user, it got you covered. It just works.

The continued hatred towards NetworkManager is pretty much the same as with systemd. Apparently some people just don't like consistency.

Comment

WHY??! At work that is how all of our Networking configuration is done in Cent6 and Cent7. Text configuration files make sense, it is the Unix way, everything is a file. Configuring ifcfg-em0 and ifcfg-em1 is so darn easy. Why make it harder?

Comment

NM configuration is still just a text files. Take a look into /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          About friggin' time.
          Well, there are some important use cases that still need to be addressed (cloud-init, coreos), but the conversation has started.

And, of course, there is the "why not just use systemd-networkd rather than NetworkManager" conversation too.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
            And, of course, there is the "why not just use systemd-networkd rather than NetworkManager" conversation too.
            Last time I looked, this was heading towards "use both, with handoff from networkd in early boot to NM for later on with the same config files".

Did this not happen?

Comment

I use ip link, iw dev, wpa_supplicant and dhclient to manage my interfaces.

Will removing ifcfg cause this to break?

Comment

I plug in my ethernet cable and it just works

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                  About friggin' time. Both this and netplan needs to die. NetworkManager is a consistent, universal solution that works great both on EL and Debian, both on servers and desktops. I have no idea why Ubuntu decided to go the netplan route other than the usual NIH (not invented here) syndrome. It solves nothing, only adds various new bugs to the mix.

So I hope netplan will go down in history like most of Canonical's NIH success stories, like Ubuntu Touch, Unity, LightDM, Bazaar, Mir, Snap, Upstart, Subiquity, and Autoinstall (because sticking to standard cloud-init would've KILLED).

In the early days, I trusted the internet regarding NetworkManager, coz most people had like a gag reflex when it come to it. So I put enormous efforts into ditching NM and using the usual /etc/network/interfaces stuff, but adjusting the configuration was a pure PITA and usually was only solved by rebooting the servers lol.

Then I figured, I might as well give NM a go. Never looked back. I have no idea why anyone would dump it in favor of anything else. Dynamic or static, command line or GUI, per-system (elevated) or per-user, it got you covered. It just works.

The continued hatred towards NetworkManager is pretty much the same as with systemd. Apparently some people just don't like consistency.
                  Because NM is astronomically complex, has higher runtime cost, and frankly has had crappy clients that only partially support its features.... as well as is just as buggy as ifcfg but it doesn't get tested because its mostly GUI driven.

The only cases it works for reliably are the common ones..

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    I plug in my ethernet cable and it just works
                    This.

Comment

Working...
                    X