Arch Linux's Archinstall Preparing Better Btrfs Support, More Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is 2022.
    I don't understand why they don't offer a proper GUI already.

Comment

Originally posted by stargeizer View Post
      So much younger people here!!!

In the good old days of arch, when OpenRC ruled the alternative distros world, and all configuration was made on a single rc.conf file, archlinux had an installer. And was quite easy to use. Also, back then they had a quite foolproof installer (not perfect by any means, tho), based on ncurses. But when the original Archlinux maintainer left the project, the new overlord had some mental issues (i would dare to say he was more derranged than most gnome devs nowadays), so installers were out (with their maintainers ), and all customizations were out. Then systemd arrived, and the rest, as you might say, is history.

So basically, they are re-doing the installer again, altough this time is just a basic script, but better than nothing, i guess.
      Which is really ironic considering that the drive behind systems is to get rid of scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by stargeizer View Post
        So much younger people here!!!

In the good old days of arch, when OpenRC ruled the alternative distros world, and all configuration was made on a single rc.conf file, archlinux had an installer. And was quite easy to use. Also, back then they had a quite foolproof installer (not perfect by any means, tho), based on ncurses. But when the original Archlinux maintainer left the project, the new overlord had some mental issues (i would dare to say he was more derranged than most gnome devs nowadays), so installers were out (with their maintainers ), and all customizations were out. Then systemd arrived, and the rest, as you might say, is history.

So basically, they are re-doing the installer again, altough this time is just a basic script, but better than nothing, i guess.
        Quoted for Truth - Lot of Mental illness in after the OG crew left McRae was a doofus.
        I am delighted to see an installer again and add my +1 for a GUI installer. So many out there to choose from.
        Let the small pee pee archers go to gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          This is 2022.
          I don't understand why they don't offer a proper GUI already.
          I don't want them too, as it is Im kinda 50/50 on the installer. a GUI would make arch a little too accessible for lazy people. and people who want a gui but are also okay with a little bit of work have anarchy

Comment

TBH, it already takes me about 5 minutes to do a fresh Arch install the "real men way", though I do have a lot of practice

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I don't want them too, as it is Im kinda 50/50 on the installer. a GUI would make arch a little too accessible for lazy people. and people who want a gui but are also okay with a little bit of work have anarchy
              Wouldn't the better solution be, not using the installer and ignoring the newbies crying for help. Just let everyone else have their installer and go on with life.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                Wouldn't the better solution be, not using the installer and ignoring the newbies crying for help. Just let everyone else have their installer and go on with life.
                you ever seen what a forum of newbies looks like. there is a reason RTFM meme exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Is no more.
                  Still is. Note that we're talking about the base of Chrome/Chromium OS, NOT the Crostini layer that allows Linux desktop apps to run that's based on Debian. The base itself is still based on Gentoo.

“We have many packages in the Chromium OS tree. While many come from upstream Gentoo (which can be browsed http://packages.gentoo.org/)”

“We use Gentoo's portage (aka emerge) as the package manager in Chromium OS.”

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os...C-Introduction
                  “But we still need some bootstrap starting point. For that, we turn to Gentoo. Their release process includes publishing what is called a stage3 tarball. It's a full (albeit basic) Gentoo chroot that is used for installing Gentoo. We use it for creating the Chromium OS SDK from scratch.”
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 04 January 2022, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

First, a proper GUI doesn't necessarily mean bypassing the learning aspects of setting up your system. It would just look less like the 1980's and have a bit more appeal than obscure screens.

Then, an installer that simplifies the process is a very different thing. I wasn't talking about that, but let's imagine they offer one.
                    In that case, it would not be a question of being lazy. The real question is the time you're willing to spend on nerd stuff in the few hours a day of free time we have in our lives.

In my case, I've never hesitated to get my hands dirty when it's absolutely necessary and I've almost always succeeded when doing so, because I know my way around (or find it). Which means I could handle Arch if I wanted to, but the wasted time compared to a more intuitive and user-friendly alternative (hence usually quicker) doing exactly the same thing is not worth it for me in my life balance.

I'm not sure the archaic install process filters people too lazy too learn. I tend to believe that it rather snubs people who have already learned but have little time to spend on it.
                    Last edited by Mez'; 04 January 2022, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                      I'm not sure the archaic install process filters people too lazy too learn. I tend to believe that it rather snubs people who have already learned but have little time to spend on it.
                      The install myth around Arch feels more like a cult. If you can't or haven't installed Arch "the Arch way", you failed and won't rise to the hallowed status of a "real Linux user". Like you can't possibly manage a Linux system if you don't play a Linux install routine yourself.

It serves the purpose of gatekeeping pretty well. It does keep the people who don't have time for superfluous BS out. I say let them. Enough Arch derivatives that have the niceties of Arch, but not the typical, repugnant Linux nerd attitude.

Manjaro serves me pretty well. Do they goof from time to time? Sure, but which distribution is absolutely perfect in every way?

Comment

Working...
                      X