Arch Linux's Archinstall Preparing Better Btrfs Support, More Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux's Archinstall Preparing Better Btrfs Support, More Fixes

Phoronix: Arch Linux's Archinstall Preparing Better Btrfs Support, More Fixes

One of the great successes for Arch Linux in 2021 was "archinstall" debuting on the Arch Linux install media as a convenient and quick installer for this enthusiast-minded Linux distribution. This year that easy Arch Linux installer is getting into even better shape...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Disgusting. Seems like people who want to notify others about their "distro of choice" have to pick something less mainstream like Gentoo or LFS now.

Comment

Are you shure that a simple install script with no GUI makes Arch fool proof? Users that are unable to install arch without such a script are also unable to maintain the system and i know no script for that. I remember an install script in Arch several years ago that silently went out of existence it also couldn't cope with complex LUKS, LVM, MDADM setups.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
        Disgusting. Seems like people who want to notify others about their "distro of choice" have to pick something less mainstream like Gentoo or LFS now.
        I used to be an Arch + Sway guy, installed via telekinesis and brain waves. Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
          Gentoo is the base of Chrome OS, so it's not exactly “less mainstream”. Void, LFS, Slackware, Genode, etc. are examples of “less mainstream”.

Comment

I hope the script keeps it simple. it really is nice to use as is. the small things like this are the major things. it will become annoying if they try to make it more then it needs to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
              Are you shure that a simple install script with no GUI makes Arch fool proof? Users that are unable to install arch without such a script are also unable to maintain the system and i know no script for that.
              The point of this script is NOT to be completely foolproof as in "even a computer illiterate grandma could use it". (Nothing against grandmas who happen to be computer illiterate. Just using as an example which is clearly not the main audience of Arch).
              (I would argue that this is what deploying RaspberryOS is for :-D )

The point of this script is convenience: not needing to type a metric fuck ton of commands just to install the OS, and you're going to forget 10 among them one of which is critical but will stay silent and only come to dramatically bite you back in the ass 10-months from now.

Comment

So much younger people here!!!

In the good old days of arch, when OpenRC ruled the alternative distros world, and all configuration was made on a single rc.conf file, archlinux had an installer. And was quite easy to use. Also, back then they had a quite foolproof installer (not perfect by any means, tho), based on ncurses. But when the original Archlinux maintainer left the project, the new overlord had some mental issues (i would dare to say he was more derranged than most gnome devs nowadays), so installers were out (with their maintainers ), and all customizations were out. Then systemd arrived, and the rest, as you might say, is history.

So basically, they are re-doing the installer again, altough this time is just a basic script, but better than nothing, i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Gentoo is the base of Chrome OS
                  Is no more.

Comment

Originally posted by stargeizer View Post
                    [...]archlinux had an installer. And was quite easy to use. Also, back then they had a quite foolproof installer (not perfect by any means, tho), based on ncurses. [...]
                    You see!

I remember the first time I distro-hopped Arch Linux it was with a TUI installer and a clear step-by-step documentation. Today the documentation, which is excellent, is grown so big that some areas became disconnected to others.

Comment

Working...
                    X