No announcement yet.

Joshua Strobl Steps Down From The Solus Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like the headline should have been "Budgie dev lead leaves Solus for SerpentOS" or something. I don't know if the comments would have been any less spiteful, but it least it would be clear what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Oh, you have a fancy gate with an operator? Let me just jam my pliers inside the operator box and bridge the electrical connection on your hardware lock. That's literally how you "hack" a gate. $40 pliers. It's the new $5 wrench.
      You are in a mission..

Comment

Again abrupt resignation of the lead in this distro. And it’s to join a distro made by the guy who made then resigned (in shady conditions) from Solus…?

You know what, just avoid these distros made by a handful of guy promising the sun and stick to the classics…

PS: would never rely on anything made by Ikey Doherty. It’s like the third distro he starts and when he will be bored or any other reason, the danger will again happen. When he started Solus, he said that this time he was here to stay… How many time this will happen?

Comment

Was honestly thinking the same thing. He's leaving Solus to go to SerpentOS where Ikey is. How long till they leave that distro to make another after not finishing what they started?

Comment

I´m not a user of Solus myself. Hence, the only thing I hope out of this is that Budgie keeps being developped and ideally away from Gnome/GTK.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

SerpentOS looks like a combination of Silverblue, Solus, and T2SDE. What's funny is their liberal use of the word "subscription" in relations to package management makes me not want to use that OS. They don't do a good enough job to differentiate a subscription from dependency resolving other than it sounds like they're trying to use a buzzword for package management. And if they highly recommend that I read the docs to learn how moss works they should leave an easier to find link...I suggest leaving one where they suggest reading the docs.
              Hi, I'm the The Process Guy for the Serpent OS team.

The idea with subscriptions is that you can subscribe to only subsets of a full package (particularly i18n/l10n). The idea is that the resolver we're writing will be able to exclude deps from installation depending on your subscriptions (this matters for e.g. LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird etc.) in order to decrease update sizes. Your points about the terminology (and missing docs!) are well taken, though. Docs are on the 0.0 milestone for the cleanup/productisation pass of the tooling FWIW.

I'll see what we can do about explaining subscriptions better moving forward.

Thanks for the feedback.
              Last edited by ermo; 14 January 2022, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                Thats the guy who was too incompetent to read the documentation of the libhandy library creating the probably biggest embarrassment for solus in years.

What does the documentation say:
                "Building blocks for modern adaptive GNOME applications.

Handy offers application developers many widgets and objects to build GNOME applications scaling from desktop workstations to mobile phones."

What Mr Strobl got: "libhandy is for phones and we don't do that here" and blocking countless application updates for his petty failure to read the damn documentation.

Absolutely nothing of value was lost, good bye Mr Strobl.
                Yet he was completely spot on in his arguments against the stupidity of libadwaita. The further from the Gnome closed-mindedness and its cultists with little critical mind, the better.
                He´s sticking to Budgie and that is great news. There are a lot of people wi5h high hopes on Budgie or the future System76 DE, as Gnome just doesn´t cut it. Most users are using Gnome out of spite (not into the QT world, and other DEs not mature enough), and are just waiting to jump ships whenever a new Unity-disruptive DE comes along.

Comment

The story really should have been that Josh joined the SerpentOS team. Of course this implies leaving his old post but I see nothing wrong with that, he surely has his reasons and if he wants to try something new with old comrades, why not?! I hope this time they not only get the project up and running but keep enriching it and sustain their efforts. Especially the latter proved to be a major obstacle the last time...

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                    Again abrupt resignation of the lead in this distro. And it’s to join a distro made by the guy who made then resigned (in shady conditions) from Solus…?

You know what, just avoid these distros made by a handful of guy promising the sun and stick to the classics…

PS: would never rely on anything made by Ikey Doherty. It’s like the third distro he starts and when he will be bored or any other reason, the danger will again happen. When he started Solus, he said that this time he was here to stay… How many time this will happen?
                    Arguably Ikey did make something great in Solus, but agreed they need to make sure Serpent can stand on it's own feet if it gets off the ground. Solus survived anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

You mean Gtk applications?
                      Let's not complicate things even further. GTK apps are apps that use the GTK toolkit (ie. Inkscape). GNOME apps on the other hand use GTK and other GNOME components (ie libhandy/libadwaita), and adhere to GNOME's HIG (let's not mention some literally have GNOME in their name, like GNOME mpv, Solus's default video player)

Comment

Working...
                      X