Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joshua Strobl Steps Down From The Solus Project

Phoronix: Joshua Strobl Steps Down From The Solus Project

Well known Solus Project core team member and Experience Lead Joshua Strobl has announced he is stepping down from the project but will be continuing his work on the Budgie desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thats the guy who was too incompetent to read the documentation of the libhandy library creating the probably biggest embarrassment for solus in years.

What does the documentation say:
    "Building blocks for modern adaptive GNOME applications.

Handy offers application developers many widgets and objects to build GNOME applications scaling from desktop workstations to mobile phones."

What Mr Strobl got: "libhandy is for phones and we don't do that here" and blocking countless application updates for his petty failure to read the damn documentation.

Absolutely nothing of value was lost, good bye Mr Strobl.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
      Thats the guy who was too incompetent to read the documentation of the libhandy library creating the probably biggest embarrassment for solus in years.

Handy offers application developers many widgets and objects to build GNOME applications scaling from desktop workstations to mobile phones."

What Mr Strobl got: "libhandy is for phones and we don't do that here" and blocking countless application updates for his petty failure to read the damn documentation.

The Linux community and development in essence: wars, infighting, a huge duplication of effort, creating bicycles, creating half-assed products instead of fixing years old issues in already existing projects.

And fences! I've forgotten about fences! libadwaita and various other clever tricks to make it difficult or impossible to use your work the way others want.
      Last edited by birdie; 02 January 2022, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Looking ahead, he also plans to join the SerpentOS project. SerpentOS is the distribution started by Ikey Doherty, the original creator of Solus.
        And here I was thinking libhandy was a library for a pocket pu....Well, so yesterday I semi-jested about the insane number of distributions just for desktop environments, but that comment makes me wonder how many distributions exist because some teams couldn't agree on something.

SerpentOS looks like a combination of Silverblue, Solus, and T2SDE. What's funny is their liberal use of the word "subscription" in relations to package management makes me not want to use that OS. They don't do a good enough job to differentiate a subscription from dependency resolving other than it sounds like they're trying to use a buzzword for package management. And if they highly recommend that I read the docs to learn how moss works they should leave an easier to find link...I suggest leaving one where they suggest reading the docs.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

The Linux community and development in essence: wars, infighting, a huge duplication of effort, creating bicycles, creating half-assed products instead of fixing years old issues in already existing projects.

And fences! I've forgotten about fences! libadwaita and various other clever tricks to make it difficult or impossible to use your work the way others want.
          I build fences. Wanna know a secret? A $40 pair of pliers can break into any fence. Wood. Iron. Chain Link. PVC. Doesn't matter. Moral of the story: all of that effort will be moot because because every libfence will by countered with libpliers.

Oh, you have a fancy gate with an operator? Let me just jam my pliers inside the operator box and bridge the electrical connection on your hardware lock. That's literally how you "hack" a gate. $40 pliers. It's the new $5 wrench.

Comment

That's a pretty cheap shot. Libhandy was in essence a library to make GNOME more adaptive to mobile screens of all sizes because Purism really wanted to use GNOME for their phone. GNOME build from that in Libadwaita, combined with all the styling problems was the gist of Joshua's problems.

It's easy to tell off developers and say nothing of value was lost, but I don't think some rando on the internet could do his job half as well.

Comment

Sometimes you really do need to draw a line somewhere though or:

1) Desktop environment will just be a weird Gnome remix.
              2) Desktop environment will drag in too many dependencies and become a mess at best and a maintenance nightmare at worst.

Plus, mobile cruft aside, libhandy explicitly states it helps building Gnome applications. Solus was not using Gnome by default so why would it give a damn about that feature?

Comment

He did the right thing, so what's the problem?

I mean, it's GNOME, that's even worse than "for phones".

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  libhandy explicitly states it helps building Gnome applications. Solus was not using Gnome by default so why would it give a damn about that feature?
                  Cause Solus literally ships with many GNOME applications by default?

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Cause Solus literally ships with many GNOME applications by default?
                    You mean Gtk applications? Nothing is in their feature list that absolutely needs Gnome.

Comment

Working...
                    X