Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Had A Stellar 2021 & Continued Running At The Forefront Of Linux Innovations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Had A Stellar 2021 & Continued Running At The Forefront Of Linux Innovations

Phoronix: Fedora Had A Stellar 2021 & Continued Running At The Forefront Of Linux Innovations

Fedora had another successful year and anecdotally enthusiasm around the Red Hat sponsored Linux distribution grew a lot this year among Linux power users. As has been the case for years, Fedora releases have been among the first to feature new Linux innovations from the desktop down the stack -- many of which have been spearheaded by Red Hat engineers. Helping its cause for the past several years is that they have managed to deliver releases on-time (or close to it) and haven't been like some of the past distant releases that were rather buggy and other headaches stemming from the constant flow of changes. Fedora 34 and Fedora 35 this year were great releases and continued pushing the distribution on an upward trajectory...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Silverblue might be an attrocity, but most of what fedora does is usually pretty cool

Comment

For newer technologies sometimes Fedora is the leader, and sometimes it is a follower, but it is always an interesting place to be. And for those admins in the enterprise space, as Fedora is the logical base of some future EL-Next, it can help admins understand and prepare for what is coming next (and what competent admin does not want to be prepared?).

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        Silverblue might be an attrocity, but most of what fedora does is usually pretty cool
        What makes it an atrocity? I use it as my main desktop and am very happy with it.

Comment

i'm daily driving silverblue as well and it is fantastic. i feel like most people who hate silverblue have not given it an honest chance. certainly there are usecases where it doesn't work out (for example if you need to use stuff with kernel modules like zfs or vmware), but for a lot of cases it is better than the traditional desktop. on top of that once you start using toolboxes for things you will wonder how you could have lived life so long without them.

Comment

Originally posted by risho View Post
            i'm daily driving silverblue as well and it is fantastic. i feel like most people who hate silverblue have not given it an honest chance. certainly there are usecases where it doesn't work out (for example if you need to use stuff with kernel modules like zfs or vmware), but for a lot of cases it is better than the traditional desktop. on top of that once you start using toolboxes for things you will wonder how you could have lived life so long without them.
            To add to what you wrote, I also believe that people who "hate" silverblue didn't take any time to actually learn it. That's not a criticism btw, it's common to feel that I've got stuff to do, don't want to have to mess around with the OS. But the point is that while silverblue is certainly different from a traditional distro, you can still use it for pretty much all the same things. It's just done differently.

Personally I'm not looking back. The rock solid reliability, atomic upgrades and ability to roll back are well worth every bit of effort to adjust to it.

Comment

I've tried Fedora Rawhide Plasma for a couple of days. What impressed me was that their packaging / dependency resolution worked fine and without problems (I've seen tons of missing dependencies on other distros, e.g. Tumbleweed or Kubuntu). That makes compiling packages from source more appealing on that distro. On the other hand, the default Kernel configuration is way slower than other distributions in games and even from the whole boot process and desktop usage, it feels way slower than others - in my usual game test it was not even half as fast as Manjaro or openSUSE Tumbleweed out of the box. While I get that they are not a "gaming distribution" this could be improved upon, also dnfdragora also feels slower than I'd like. At least I could fix these performance issues with my custom Kernel config and compiling some packages with more advanced compilation flags myself.

Unfortunately using COPR repositories with Rawhide is not as straigthforward as I would have liked, the mesa-and-llvm git repo didn't work for me and there seems to be a known bug with COPR on Rawhide which I could not work around. All in all, I would say it surpassed Tumbleweed as my second choice (it used to be Kubuntu, but since 21.10 the ISOs don't work for me). Manjaro is currently my first choice, as I love to compile custom packages from the AUR - even if it brakes things now and then.

Looking forward to next year, I really hope Serpent OS makes its first release. As that would provide a more optimized distro out of the box with the flexibility of AUR.

Comment

Please don't foget that not all Linux Innovations are leading to the right path. HNY

Comment

Originally posted by risho View Post
                  [...] on top of that once you start using toolboxes for things you will wonder how you could have lived life so long without them.
                  You might also be interested in Distrobox to easily manage generic Podman/Docker container images and have access to userspaces from all distros on your Silverblue:

Also recently featured on Fedora Magazine:
                  Distrobox is a tool that allows you to create and manage container-based environments without root privileges using podman or docker.

Works on pretty much anything since it's a collection of POSIX-compliant shell scripts. Lets you integrate GUI apps from the containers with your host as well. Neat!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    Silverblue is not an atrocity, but a GNU/Linux desktop system truly designed to be used as a desktop system, not a server with a GUI.

The atrocity is the design used by Linux desktop for a long time. Just look at what happened to Pop!_OS. Something like that is impossible to see in Silverblue/Kinoite because it's designed to avoid the system breakage according to what a desktop system has to be.

If Linux wants to success in desktop, it has to be designed according to desktop computing, not as a server with GUI.

Comment

Working...
                    X