Ubuntu Had A Great Year In Switching To Wayland, Continued Commercial Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoenk View Post

Commercial support is never going to have you installing random PPAs, they're not stack exchange. If your hardware or software is not officially supported, they'll just say so, and recommend upgrading if a newer version does support it.
    It was a joke. Every time I tried Ubunut or Kubuntu it seemed like HWE + PPA were the answers to most all of my issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

I had no idea that was a thing!
      yeah it's pretty nice, as far as I am aware, only gnome really supports it right now, but I think plasma is working on it. but it really is nice. the reason it works is pretty much because to the compositor, hotplug and pass through are pretty much the same thing. technically the may be worlds different. but the compostior just see it loosing and gaining a card. but that being said, the "Gaining" part. seems to be quite buggy still.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Canonical's revenue is in the support of server/cloud space (i.e. enterprise support contracts).

Canonical should likely abandon Snap in favor of Flatpak to reduce the internal costs for what is essentially a parallel / duplicated effort.
        Except, as you yourself have just pointed out, desktop is not the only thing that Canonical is interested in. Flatpak can only be used on desktops.

Comment

I like snaps for cli apps, but for the rest they could just drop it and use Flatpak instead.

Snaps are clearly intended for servers, not desktop.

Comment

Does Snap have the same integration issues as Flatpak? (e.g.: GNU Octave being unable to access additional packages installed by the user without hours of trying a dozen "solutions" only to find that a hybrid of three of them works...)

Last time I tried Flatpak Octave it was so painful I just gave up and built it from source.

edit: I had it working on 18.04, but getting to to play on 20.04 was beyond my patience/time available (hence the "give up, build from source" fix)

Comment

Working...
            X