No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Had A Great Year In Switching To Wayland, Continued Commercial Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wayland makes multi gpu setups really nice, especially for vfio, as you don't need to bind to vfio-gpu, and you don't need to kill the server either so long as the compositor supports hotplugging

Comment

Too bad that they again wasting time with Snap and Flutter and we have to wait again for 10 years until they figure out that they need to drop them.

Comment

Snaps are ok as long I can purge snapd from my systems without losing functionality... But now that they are switching Firefox to snaps, they are creating an issue. A really annoying issue!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Too bad that they again wasting time with Snap and Flutter and we have to wait again for 10 years until they figure out that they need to drop them.
          Is this a lose-lose situation or am I just overthinking this? If Canonical makes Flutter popular, Google can just pull the rug from under their feet (since it will be the main framework of their new OS). Yet, at the same time it's a Google project so it has a good chance of dying soon.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post

Is this a lose-lose situation or am I just overthinking this? If Canonical makes Flutter popular, Google can just pull the rug from under their feet (since it will be the main framework of their new OS). Yet, at the same time it's a Google project so it has a good chance of dying soon.
            flutter is here to stay, flutter might suck, but it is still one of the best frameworks for making mobile apps that don't look like a gnomes hairy ass crack. all the frameworks like that suck, but at least flutter isn't to terrible to work with.

Comment

Just out of curiosity: last time I tried Wayland, it seems Ubuntu didn't offer per monitor content scaling. I am using 175%, 100%, 100% setup in X11, I was unable to set that in Wayland (and in Plasma even under X). Is it fixed now?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I have to imagine that this is the answer to 80% of their calls - That issue was fixed in a newer version than what Kubuntu ships with. You need to first either update from LTS to the newest .10 release or enable HWE and after doing one of those you need to install the XYZ PPA for updated KDE builds.
                Commercial support is never going to have you installing random PPAs, they're not stack exchange. If your hardware or software is not officially supported, they'll just say so, and recommend upgrading if a newer version does support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

flutter is here to stay, flutter might suck, but it is still one of the best frameworks for making mobile apps that don't look like a gnomes hairy ass crack. all the frameworks like that suck, but at least flutter isn't to terrible to work with.
                  That's good to know, thanks. I also checked out desktop apps like Flokk, they look pretty decent. Have you ever used Flutter on the desktop?

Should the Qt Company be worried about this?

Comment

Originally posted by lacek View Post
                    Just out of curiosity: last time I tried Wayland, it seems Ubuntu didn't offer per monitor content scaling. I am using 175%, 100%, 100% setup in X11, I was unable to set that in Wayland (and in Plasma even under X). Is it fixed now?
                    Wayland supports per-monitor scaling but Gnome locks fractional scaling behind this command

Code:
                    gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['scale-monitor-framebuffer']"
                    X11 actually doesn't support per-monitor scaling. It scales everything on all monitors by the same amount but XRANDR allows you to then downscale things on a per-monitor basis afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                      wayland makes multi gpu setups really nice, especially for vfio, as you don't need to bind to vfio-gpu, and you don't need to kill the server either so long as the compositor supports hotplugging
                      I had no idea that was a thing!

Comment

Working...
                      X