Fedora 36 Looking To Change Its Default Fonts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Meanwhile I continue to use Microsoft TTF fonts which look spectacular.

Also, there's a nice add-on for Firefox called ReFont which allows to disable custom Web fonts which have infested the entire web. Windows 10 and 11 render them OK'ish (in classic applications) but FreeType/Pango continue to struggle hard with them, so I prefer not to see them at all.

Here's how I see this page in case people want to enjoy something warm, crisp and nice. Make sure you see this screenshot at 100% scale/magnification.
    This is the worst font demo screenshot I've seen in a few years. Ah, Windows XP memories.
    Last edited by intelfx; 30 December 2021, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
      I confess I tend to uninstall all noto* and use Liberation fonts with full hinting I have a weird taste regarding fonts...
      you....
      4dea7feb06f4e02292a0b477a94bc871.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
        A lot of the fonts discussed here are old, and designed for the 80dpi display era.

Noto is very complete, but also quite plain, boring, and in my opinion a bit ugly.

If you are lucky enough for your language to be covered by either of these fonts, they are far better and more modern than any of those discussed so far:

https://github.com/IBM/plex (System UI font)

https://github.com/impallari/Cabin (Firefox default sans font, taking notes etc.)

https://github.com/microsoft/cascadia-code (terminal/coding font)

https://github.com/silnrsi/font-gent...ses/tag/v6.001 (beautiful serif font for long text documents)

also make sure that you have the following settings:

hinting: slight, subpixel antialiasing: rgb, lcdfilter: default (most 94 dpi+ monitor)

hinting: off, subpixel antialiasing: off, lcdfilter: none (4k monitor)
        Iosevka rules Mono fonts!

Comment

What's wrong with Cantarell? From my perspective any font that doesn't distinguish I and l (capitalized "i" and lower "L") shouldn't even exist.

I use Cantarell by default even on KDE Plasma.

Comment

Good, because most distos have Arabic fonts that by default looks ugly as shit. Noto is way nicer.

Comment

Just installed google-noto-sans and google-noto-serif onto my fedora instance and yes it is much better than anything that comes as default. Even red hat display font looked ugly next to it.

Comment

Instead of 200 similar fonts i prefer 30 different ones. Different much like cartoon fonts or bloody fonts.

Comment

Originally posted by andresdju View Post
                  Noto has the best free japanese fonts in my opinion, and to me they look better than RICOH/MS Mincho fonts.
                  Personally I prefer the M+ one, but Noto is a good default.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post

The ubuntu fonts for Arabic language is very very ugly.
                    Weird, especially since I like their Farsi font. Maybe Arabs have a different taste. Are there many people thinking the same way?

Edit: I looked at a few samples. It seems like it fallsback to something unbearable in some occasions, but other than that, Farsi and Arabic fonts are basically the same.
                    Last edited by er888kh; 30 December 2021, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      Meanwhile I continue to use Microsoft TTF fonts which look spectacular.

Also, there's a nice add-on for Firefox called ReFont which allows to disable custom Web fonts which have infested the entire web. Windows 10 and 11 render them OK'ish (in classic applications) but FreeType/Pango continue to struggle hard with them, so I prefer not to see them at all.

Here's how I see this page in case people want to enjoy something warm, crisp and nice. Make sure you see this screenshot at 100% scale/magnification.
                      I'll concede that these MS fonts as displayed in the screenshot are a far cry from how ugly they used to be rendered in the Windows of old, but this is exactly the kind of font rendering I was always struggling to get away from back in the old, pre-Infinality Linux days. I like my fonts fatter and rounder and smoother; thin and square lines are a big no-no in my books.

Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
                      The only fonts that truly matter:

Code:
                      $fc-match sans
                      arial.ttf: "Arial" "Regular"
                      $fc-match mono
                      consola.ttf: "Consolas" "Regular"
                      $fc-match serif
                      times.ttf: "Times New Roman" "Regular"
                      In case you wonder, fontconfig automatically pick them up if installed (on my distro at least).
                      Microsoft fonts, especially the old fonts like Arial and Times a) are ugly as Hell, b) are even uglier on Linux, and c) are full of rendering/hinting hacks that have no business on a modern PC with a modern font rendering stack. There's a reason even Microsoft has ditched them nowadays.

Consolas is a good font though. On the other hand, so are a great many of the hundreds of free mono fonts out there (not to mention the non-free ones).

Originally posted by ping-wu View Post
                      Noto CJK has problem properly displaying apostrophe (upper line):

But with a slight modification (re Sarasa UI fonts, lowerr line), this problem can disappear
                      Huh. I've been using Noto CJK for years now and I'd never noticed this. I just tested it and you're right, but it only happens with the Noto CJK SC/HK/TC variants, aka the Chinese ones, not with the KR and JP ones. Weird, but I'd bet 100% fixable. I'd tell you to report it upstream, but I'd be really surprised if it's not been already reported.

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

Personally I prefer the M+ one, but Noto is a good default.
                      I was about to say the same thing. I'm a recent convert to the M+ fonts, they're really nice and just like the Noto fonts they cover a great deal of non-Latin writing scripts (which is a non-negotiable requirement in every part of the world except the USA, and every default font that only supports Latin scripts should be tossed in a fire to burn, along with the morons who decided to make it a default in the first place - yes Cantarell and GNOME, I'm looking at you).

Comment

Working...
                      X