Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS Stream 9 Improves Performance For Intel Xeon, AMD EPYC

Phoronix: CentOS Stream 9 Improves Performance For Intel Xeon, AMD EPYC

Earlier this month marked the general availability of CentOS Stream 9 as the bleeding-edge of Red hat Enterprise Linux 9 development. Since then I've been running benchmarks of CentOS Stream 9 and with modern hardware it's been offering some nice performance upgrades over CentOS Stream 8 / RHEL8 especially with modern hardware platforms like Intel Xeon Scalable "Ice Lake" and AMD EPYC 7003 "Milan" servers. Here are benchmarks of CentOS Stream8, CentOS Stream 9, Intel's Clear Linux, Fedora Server 35, Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS, and Ubuntu 21.10 on both AMD and Intel servers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should have included CentOS 7 for shops still running that like the place i work. Or CentOS 6 even but let's just pretend that I don't know anywhere still using CentOS 6. Nope not one!

Comment

Great stuff!

Let those running RHEL Beta Stream 9, be beta testers for the rest of us running Alma/Rocky

I am sure Alma/Rocky 9 will be an excellent release!

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
        Great stuff!

Let those running RHEL Beta Stream 9, be beta testers for the rest of us running Alma/Rocky

I am sure Alma/Rocky 9 will be an excellent release!
        I wonder where you got all that salt. Your Rocky or Alma install will not be any more stable, just a little bit behind on updates. If you win anything by that, is something for the realm of believes and feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

I wonder where you got all that salt. Your Rocky or Alma install will not be any more stable, just a little bit behind on updates. If you win anything by that, is something for the realm of believes and feelings.
          I'm not the user you're replying to, but I got salty as well wrt to RedHat due to their behaviour.
          I had a dozen of newly installed server just when they announced the drop of the CentOS support and I think that is enough reason.

moreover, Stream and CentOS are not the same product and they don't provide the same level of stability, no matter how hard RH try to convice you of the contrary.
          granted, Stream is "good enough" for a lot of usecases and probably better that the majority of the distro out there, but it is not something I'd base my critical server on.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

I had a dozen of newly installed server just when they announced the drop of the CentOS support and I think that is enough reason
            If it is just a dozen, https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/new-y...ys-access-rhel would cover you completely, just FYI.

Comment

To add to what cynic said, most all the salt is over the name of the project because it went from being a free RHEL clone to being an intermediate between Fedora and Red Hat. IMHO, it should have been called anything else other than CentOS. I'd have gone with Cowboy, Trilby, or Bowler to keep with the hat theme.

Cowboy Stream would have been an apt name because you've wrangled up all the Rawhide packages from the Fedora Ranch and you're in the process of taking them to the Red Hat market for mass consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

If it is just a dozen, https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/new-y...ys-access-rhel would cover you completely, just FYI.
                <sarcasm> oh, thanks for letting me know, very kind of you! I wasn't aware of that </sarcasm>

seriously speaking, that dozen were just those already migrated to CentOS 8.
                also, we fire tens of VM for tests and some of use use it as a workstation OS.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                  <sarcasm> oh, thanks for letting me know, very kind of you! I wasn't aware of that </sarcasm>
                  No sarcasm warranted here. You should have just gone with the actual reply and skipped this part

Comment

I'd really like to know more about why Centos Stream is faster. Here's my motivation.

We run vendor software on hundreds of servers. This software requires Centos6 or Centos7. Because of that mixed environment we run everything in containers.

If the performance improvements are due to, for example, kernel scheduling improvements then we could likely benefit from upgrading our host OSes to Centos Stream. But if the benefits are due to newer glibc versions, then we're unlikely to see any benefit. And obviously if they 're due to newer compilers we won't see any benefit, as we don't get to recompile the vendor tools...

Comment

Working...
                    X