Fedora 36 Planning To Run Wayland By Default With NVIDIA's Proprietary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    Looks like you have super old GPU that is working with Nouveau. If missing Vulkan can be considered "fine" lol. We are unlucky with our 9xx+ GPUs here.
    Go ahead and continue making assumptions.

Comment

Only thing keeping me on X is the nextcloud desktop app. It only shows a tray icon under X11.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        I'm on KDE Wayland Intel plus nvidia.

You are right that it does works properly, but only when playing the games through xwayland. If you force Wayland directly on the game, Nvidia Optimus doesn't support that and the game won't run on the Nvidia card.
        Yeah, so this means that Wayland on nVidia using GBM is still broken in some ways.
        - External monitor not working when using Hybrid setups (probably depend on which GPU it's wired to)
        - Missing DMABUF support
        - Not being able to select which GPU to use for native Wayland games

You'd expect from a multi-million company (which is about to acquire ARM) to put in a little more effort and resources getting an out of the box experience such as when using the Mesa drivers.

Comment

I'm on KDE Wayland Intel plus nvidia.

You are right that it does works properly, but only when playing the games through xwayland. If you force Wayland directly on the game, Nvidia Optimus doesn't support that and the game won't run on the Nvidia card.
          Since the game is Xorg based on.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post

I think that the problem with external monitors in Wayland when using the blob is only when you are running the hybrid setup. That is, let's say intel, iGPU is running the show and you plug your monitor into the Nvidia GPU, then that's when things go south, and that's probably why they still keep Xorg as default for hybrid setups. Last time I checked everything worked okay in Wayland for my hybrid setup **except** plugging in an external monitor. I don't think this is a problem if the Nvidia GPU is the primary display device, but I could be wrong, haven't tested that setup extensively.
            That is not exactly an uncommon setup for a laptop though. For me at least I have 1-2 external monitors plugged in more often than not by a far stretch: My work laptop (Thinkpad P15 Gen1) has the external display outputs hooked up to the Nvidia Quadro GPU. I would love to run it in hybrid mode to save on battery when I do use it on the go, but I currently run it in full on nvidia-all-the-time mode due to stability issues (under XOrg even!). Battery life sucks as a result, but I probably use it docked or on the power brick 90-95% of the time anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              Since the game is Xorg based on.
              That's not how it works. In SDL games you can choose whether to use x11 or Wayland, so the game is not tied in any way to x11

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post
                Only thing keeping me on X is the nextcloud desktop app. It only shows a tray icon under X11.
                I used Nextcloud on Wayland without any issue including the tray icon, though I globally enforced QT on Wayland with
                Code:
                QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
                It brings some other issues like junky window borders on GNOME or context menus misplacement, but if you do that on per-app basis where it works, it should be fine.
                I can't remember trying it on Xwayland, but my experience with X apps on GNOME Wayland is that they all just work, including the tray icons.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

That is not exactly an uncommon setup for a laptop though. For me at least I have 1-2 external monitors plugged in more often than not by a far stretch: My work laptop (Thinkpad P15 Gen1) has the external display outputs hooked up to the Nvidia Quadro GPU. I would love to run it in hybrid mode to save on battery when I do use it on the go, but I currently run it in full on nvidia-all-the-time mode due to stability issues (under XOrg even!). Battery life sucks as a result, but I probably use it docked or on the power brick 90-95% of the time anyway.
                  I have the same laptop for work too and I'm hating it because if I plug an external screen, the fan is active almost all the time.

Do you also observe that? Did you find any mitigation?

In comparison, the previous laptop I used, a P50 also with a Nvidia card was always silent unless you started a heavy GPU/CPU task.

Comment

That's not how it works. In SDL games you can choose whether to use x11 or Wayland, so the game is not tied in any way to x11
                    SDL support for Wayland is still officially unsupported and in beta though, and has known bugs. And that's assuming the game really doesn't use X directly, which may or may not be true.

So the real test is whether the game works on Wayland in any non-nvidia driver. Then you can test if nvidia in particular breaks it.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 08 December 2021, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

SDL support for Wayland is still officially unsupported and in beta though, and has known bugs. And that's assuming the game really doesn't use X directly, which may or may not be true.

So the real test is whether the game works on Wayland in any non-nvidia driver. Then you can test if nvidia in particular breaks it.
                      Since it's an Optimus laptop I do know Wayland SDL games works on the Intel card. But not on nvidia

Comment

Working...
                      X