X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pranav
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    gnome still feels like the only stacking compositor that is ready for full time wayland, but we are getting there.

ELI5 on this statement please.
    Can't GNOME fully go Wayland for Intel (or AMD) users like me?
    Isn't Wayland a part of GNOME?

Leave a comment:

• V1tol
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Never managed to get Nviida's .run package working on any distribution, so am stuck with Nouveau on my Optimus laptop.[/LIST]
    Looks like you have super old GPU that is working with Nouveau. If missing Vulkan can be considered "fine" lol. We are unlucky with our 9xx+ GPUs here.

In any case launching .run package is almost always a bad idea, better stuck with distro provided packages.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Never managed to get Nviida's .run package working on any distribution, so am stuck with Nouveau on my Optimus laptop.

Problem with Nouveau is that setting DRI_PRIME is not 100% foolproof. In Debian 11, setting DRI_PRIME to the Nvidia GPU causes Plasma Wayland and Chome / Chromium to not work. And yet for some strange reason setting DRI_PRIME to the Nvidia GPU works for Gnome Wayland.

Best compromise on hand for me is to use the following combinations:
    • Plasma Wayland (Intel) + Chrome / Chromium (Intel) + everything else (Nouveau)
      or
    • Gnome Wayland (Nouveau) + Chrome / Chromium (Intel) + everything else (Nouveau)

Leave a comment:

• StarterX4
    replied
    They added GBM support in 2021, after like 5 years of keeping their unfunctional (at least on Fermi, though they said it's a minimum family for it to work, but it doesn't) and useless EGLStreams trash, and with their closed proprietary blobs with short time support – leaving older GPU families users behind.
    As always, they fucked up.

Radeon doesn't greet.

Leave a comment:

• arglebargle
    replied
    You guys all realize that you can just choose the Gnome X11 session option at login right? Nothing is going to force you to use Wayland if there are still bugs to be worked out.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Who knows how many headaches Nvidia users will have, already with Xorg it is an ordeal, ... maybe not, we'll see, but they make me tenderness.

Leave a comment:

• bple2137
    replied
    How about DMA-BUF support for screen casting using PipeWire? AFAIK it's not supported yet. Is there any chance NVIDIA will deliver that in time there's new Fedora release?

GNOME patches required to run Wayland aren't in the Arch repo yet, but I tried separate installation of Fedora and I compiled mutter, gnome-shell, glib and few more from master. It worked almost ok on my RTX 3060Ti, but my issues (clicking on a drive in Nautilus caused the whole session crash, GNOME was successively filling all the RAM just by opening and closing apps) were probably related to the way I just built some of the desktop components and not the full thing. Anyway, I played with it for entire evening and the overall experience was great, including hardware accelerated Firefox and heavy AAA games. In fact in many cases it was far better than NVIDIA + Xorg in terms of smoothness. Looking forward to switching back to Wayland session!

Leave a comment:

• Vorpal
    replied
    Originally posted by dragonn View Post
    External monitor wired to the Nvidia GPU is problematic yet, but offloading work to Nvidia works fine on wayland
    In that case, I hope they detect that configuration and don't enable wayland by default on such systems. While I'm knowledgable enough to fix this kind of issues fairly easily (and I don't run Fedora), it is important to provide a good out of the box user experience. (As an example of this: a crash issue when selecting btrfs in the installer of Manjaro made me just say "nope, going for another distro, don't want to deal with this". Could I have worked around this? Most likely. But just going with plain Arch instead was easier.)

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    This is always nice. glad to see wayland finally replacing xorg, gnome still feels like the only stacking compositor that is ready for full time wayland, but we are getting there.

Leave a comment:

• dragonn
    replied
    Originally posted by MastaG View Post

I've tried to remove it and Wayland works, however I wasn't able to enable my external monitor.
    ​​​​​​
    External monitor wired to the Nvidia GPU is problematic yet, but offloading work to Nvidia works fine on wayland

Leave a comment:

Working...
X