openSUSE Leap 15.4 Alpha Builds Begin For Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fransdb View Post
    Tumbleweed is another matter, which is indeed a rolling release - maybe a little to often rolling - and functions 99.8% of the time satisfactory.
    I am still looking for a second and different Linux installment on my system, since the Leap series are just too old and too laden with issues.
    Maybe Argon?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Don't rely on Distrowatch. Their metrics are inaccurate.
      But still, it doesn't mean that OpenSUSE alpha versions are important. Where is news about Linux Mint or Ubuntu alpha versions? Surely they have hundreds of thousands of users more than OpenSUSE?

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post

But still, it doesn't mean that OpenSUSE alpha versions are important. Where is news about Linux Mint or Ubuntu alpha versions? Surely they have hundreds of thousands of users more than OpenSUSE?
        But Ubuntu does get written about quite a lot when a change that will go into the next release comes out. The distributions that are based on ubuntu share quite a lot of that changes too so it would not make sense to write a duplicate post about that.
        Opensuse Leap is it's own Distribution(that is sharing a lot with SUSE Enterprise Linux) and there is not much to write about in the time between the releases. Other Distributions that are not just Ubuntu with some changes get covered when they release a alpha too.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...TS-Development and the Beta get a post as always. I don't even see a Alpha there. Seems more like the development is running till beta/feature freeze https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/jammy...schedule/23906

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
          Using distribution with KDE beta as good idea? Both Argon and Krypton are more focused on testers and KDE developers, than mainstream audience

Comment

Really, people should read a bit before posting.

openSUSE has a perfect way to combine a very stable distro with more up-to-date packages where it matters for some needs:
            - Need a more recent kernel?

- Want to use the latest GUI?

- Your job requires recent tools?

- Multimedia?

And there are many other curated packages for your needs, just dig a bit before complaining.

So, no, openSUSE Leap is not like other long term, stable, distro. For most things, I even prefer it over Tumbleweed.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post
              Really, people should read a bit before posting.

openSUSE has a perfect way to combine a very stable distro with more up-to-date packages where it matters for some needs:
              - Need a more recent kernel?

- Want to use the latest GUI?

- Your job requires recent tools?

- Multimedia?

And there are many other curated packages for your needs, just dig a bit before complaining.

So, no, openSUSE Leap is not like other long term, stable, distro. For most things, I even prefer it over Tumbleweed.

Cheers.
              Furthermore, openSUSE (and SLE) is the only distro with a system control panel that makes sense and allows doing a great deal of things without the terminal (YaST). No other distro has reached that point. Not even Ubuntu.

Comment

I've tried openSUSE recently, it is incredibly, unbelievably slow, everything (installing packages, or change preferences) are literally 30 times slower than on ubuntu 20.04 (tde vs unity, btrfs vs ext4), no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

Using distribution with KDE beta as good idea? Both Argon and Krypton are more focused on testers and KDE developers, than mainstream audience
                  I use Argon in my main computer with no problems.
                  and it mostly uses only KDE RC, not Beta!
                  So far it's been rock-solid

Comment

Originally posted by fransdb View Post
                    Not only they use ancient kernels, also the software is mostly from the stone age era.
                    I still use - sometimes - 15.2 because of the many issues with 15.3. I expect 15.4 is not much better.
                    Can't even run a 4K monitor on 15.2.

Tumbleweed is another matter, which is indeed a rolling release - maybe a little to often rolling - and functions 99.8% of the time satisfactory.
                    I am still looking for a second and different Linux installment on my system, since the Leap series are just too old and too laden with issues.
                    I've been complaining for years about how the last corporate owners of SUSE ruined OpenSUSE and took it from a Fedora competitor to a CentOS competitor (most of the time the Leap kernel is behind Debian stable!). You're the only other person I've discovered with the courage to speak the truth out loud! Everyone else seems to have not noticed what's happened and how the popularity of OpenSUSE has tumbled as a result (it stayed consistently at 4-5 at Distrowatch for over a decade then plummeted once they introduced Leap).

This merging of OpenSUSE Leap packages with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop is something no OpenSUSE user ever wanted and it's killed the distro. So much for the "independence from SUSE" that the distro used to tout when I first started using it in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Don't rely on Distrowatch. Their metrics are inaccurate.
                      No,they're not. I did a study of it some time ago compared with surveys of Linux users at the time regarding their "favorite distro" and Distrowatch's top distros tracked very closely with two large community surveys. Do you have some data that point to wild discrepencies between Distrowatch and other more valid sources?

Comment

Working...
                      X