Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Leap 15.4 Alpha Builds Begin For Testing

Phoronix: openSUSE Leap 15.4 Alpha Builds Begin For Testing

Released this summer was openSUSE Leap 15.3 using the same binary packages as SUSE Linux Enterprise for its SLE 15 SP3 release. Looking forward to next year, openSUSE Leap 15.4 alpha builds have begun spinning for that next installment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh great!
    I hope they ship Java 17....

Comment

My "go to" distro for a very long time. Go gecko, go!

Comment

Alpha version of 12th distro on Distrowatch is newsworthy? Seriously?
        Where are news then about alpha and beta versions of 11th, 10th, 9th, 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th distros? There are none. Then why I read this? Asking for a friend. Lol

Comment

does it still use a heavily patched ancient kernel?

Comment

Not only they use ancient kernels, also the software is mostly from the stone age era.
            I still use - sometimes - 15.2 because of the many issues with 15.3. I expect 15.4 is not much better.
            Can't even run a 4K monitor on 15.2.

Tumbleweed is another matter, which is indeed a rolling release - maybe a little to often rolling - and functions 99.8% of the time satisfactory.
            I am still looking for a second and different Linux installment on my system, since the Leap series are just too old and too laden with issues.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
              Alpha version of 12th distro on Distrowatch is newsworthy? Seriously?
              Where are news then about alpha and beta versions of 11th, 10th, 9th, 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th distros? There are none. Then why I read this? Asking for a friend. Lol
              Don't rely on Distrowatch. Their metrics are inaccurate.

Comment

I might be wrong, but I remember the very first release of Leap from 2015 had a fixed/frozen distro base (same kernel, desktop version, etc..), but the software packages were updated regularly. These days it seems like yet another LTS distro with outdated packages. Again, if I didn't remember it right, someone correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                  does it still use a heavily patched ancient kernel?
                  The iso is shipping with 5.14.19. They use AFAIK the same kernel as the SUSE Linux Enterprise. Would expect the Kernel is patched a lot as it is no LTS kernel and is shown on kernel org as EOL. So they will maintain that kernel as they did for the older releasese too. Leap15.3 was using the 5.3 Kernel if i remember right.

Comment

Originally posted by fransdb View Post
                    Not only they use ancient kernels, also the software is mostly from the stone age era.
                    I still use - sometimes - 15.2 because of the many issues with 15.3. I expect 15.4 is not much better.
                    Can't even run a 4K monitor on 15.2.
                    I have lot of SUSE computers with various versions (have to do support of older version of my software). I have 4K on Suse 10.3, 42.2, 15.0, 15.1, 15.2, 15.3, ... all running 4K without problems. But I do use the hated Nvidia driver, and no Wayland whatsoever. Makes life so much simpler.

Comment

Working...
                    X