Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Features Begin Lining Up For Fedora 36

Phoronix: More Features Begin Lining Up For Fedora 36

With a few weeks having passed since the Fedora 35 debut, more feature work and planning around next spring's Fedora 36 are underway...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The 5 releases before 35 had huge changes but for the most part were pretty drama free. 35 while not really changing much turned out to be a complete train wreck. The return of QA would be my biggest feature request. Hopefully the MESA 22 release is uneventful so it can make the cut. SDDM 20 isn't here yet so we are going to be stuck with useless X remnants again.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
      The 5 releases before 35 had huge changes but for the most part were pretty drama free. 35 while not really changing much turned out to be a complete train wreck. The return of QA would be my biggest feature request. Hopefully the MESA 22 release is uneventful so it can make the cut. SDDM 20 isn't here yet so we are going to be stuck with useless X remnants again.
      What problems did you run into with F35? I had various issues with 34 but 35 has been extremely solid for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

What problems did you run into with F35? I had various issues with 34 but 35 has been extremely solid for me.
        The biggest issue was performance. Every machine I upgraded turned into a slide show and had to be nuked and paved. I am still to scared to risk upgrading my server.

Comment

Same, upgraded several systems, both desktop spins and servers, no issues reported besides disabling power-profiles-daemon in favor of tlp on my laptops.
          Don't expect much and seldom disappointed.

Comment

Another proposal submitted today is for having users be administrators by default with Fedora's installer GUI....for their single-user systems, the plan is to change the default GUI option state.
            What is an "administrator" in Fedora? Is it a root user (I hope not)? Or is it a Sudo'er? What privileges does a current default Fedora user lack?

Comment

Originally posted by unis_torvalds View Post

What is an "administrator" in Fedora? Is it a root user (I hope not)? Or is it a Sudo'er? What privileges does a current default Fedora user lack?
              Its a user who has root privs available through sudo. Non-admin users don't.
              Don't expect much and seldom disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by unis_torvalds View Post

Member of the "wheel" group. It gives sudo rights, various privileges and presumably some polkit permissions.

Comment

Member of the "wheel" group. It gives sudo rights, various privileges and presumably some polkit permissions.
                  https://www.gingerling.co.uk/help-i-...alling-fedora/
                  “Username is not in sudoers file. This incident will be reported”.
                  yup, not putting the user on the sudoer list... i run fedora on my macbook air and always checked that box, but i can see not just new users forgetting it, but even "senior" linux users. i can see a lot of people thinking its a "root" account.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
                    https://www.gingerling.co.uk/help-i-...alling-fedora/

yup, not putting the user on the sudoer list... i run fedora on my macbook air and always checked that box, but i can see not just new users forgetting it, but even "senior" linux users. i can see a lot of people thinking its a "root" account.
                    IIRC Ubuntu was the first distro that disabled the root account by default and I think that's the correct approach, no one should ever log in as root.

Comment

Working...
                    X