Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Features Begin Lining Up For Fedora 36

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More Features Begin Lining Up For Fedora 36

    Phoronix: More Features Begin Lining Up For Fedora 36

    With a few weeks having passed since the Fedora 35 debut, more feature work and planning around next spring's Fedora 36 are underway...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...nstaller-Admin

  • #2
    The 5 releases before 35 had huge changes but for the most part were pretty drama free. 35 while not really changing much turned out to be a complete train wreck. The return of QA would be my biggest feature request. Hopefully the MESA 22 release is uneventful so it can make the cut. SDDM 20 isn't here yet so we are going to be stuck with useless X remnants again.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
      The 5 releases before 35 had huge changes but for the most part were pretty drama free. 35 while not really changing much turned out to be a complete train wreck. The return of QA would be my biggest feature request. Hopefully the MESA 22 release is uneventful so it can make the cut. SDDM 20 isn't here yet so we are going to be stuck with useless X remnants again.
      What problems did you run into with F35? I had various issues with 34 but 35 has been extremely solid for me.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jacob View Post

        What problems did you run into with F35? I had various issues with 34 but 35 has been extremely solid for me.
        The biggest issue was performance. Every machine I upgraded turned into a slide show and had to be nuked and paved. I am still to scared to risk upgrading my server.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jacob View Post

          What problems did you run into with F35? I had various issues with 34 but 35 has been extremely solid for me.
          Same, upgraded several systems, both desktop spins and servers, no issues reported besides disabling power-profiles-daemon in favor of tlp on my laptops.

          Comment


          • #6
            Another proposal submitted today is for having users be administrators by default with Fedora's installer GUI....for their single-user systems, the plan is to change the default GUI option state.
            What is an "administrator" in Fedora? Is it a root user (I hope not)? Or is it a Sudo'er? What privileges does a current default Fedora user lack?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by unis_torvalds View Post

              What is an "administrator" in Fedora? Is it a root user (I hope not)? Or is it a Sudo'er? What privileges does a current default Fedora user lack?
              Its a user who has root privs available through sudo. Non-admin users don't.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by unis_torvalds View Post

                What is an "administrator" in Fedora? Is it a root user (I hope not)? Or is it a Sudo'er? What privileges does a current default Fedora user lack?
                Member of the "wheel" group. It gives sudo rights, various privileges and presumably some polkit permissions.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jacob View Post

                  Member of the "wheel" group. It gives sudo rights, various privileges and presumably some polkit permissions.
                  https://www.gingerling.co.uk/help-i-...alling-fedora/
                  “Username is not in sudoers file. This incident will be reported”.
                  yup, not putting the user on the sudoer list... i run fedora on my macbook air and always checked that box, but i can see not just new users forgetting it, but even "senior" linux users. i can see a lot of people thinking its a "root" account.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by middy View Post
                    https://www.gingerling.co.uk/help-i-...alling-fedora/

                    yup, not putting the user on the sudoer list... i run fedora on my macbook air and always checked that box, but i can see not just new users forgetting it, but even "senior" linux users. i can see a lot of people thinking its a "root" account.
                    IIRC Ubuntu was the first distro that disabled the root account by default and I think that's the correct approach, no one should ever log in as root.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X