Archinstall 2.3 Released For Easily Installing Arch Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Using the AUR in Manjaro will break your system. I broke a system so bad in Manjaro. It made me leave Linux and switch to FreeBSD which I love, but has kind of a lazie faire approach to security, so I am contemplating a complete move to OpenBSD but its rough edges make me sigh. But OpenBSD is in my opinion the most secure Unix and really has a lot going for it simplicity wise.
    What?

I use Manjaro full time on 3 different systems with very different hardware configurations and I use AUR constantly and never had the issue you describes at that extreme

Comment

It's funny back when I used Arch (around 2004-2006 or so) Arch did in fact have an installer, as basic as it was. Now there are newfriends who go on about an installer isn't "the Arch way" or some lunacy like that. As if formatting a HDD and unpacking a tarball it difficult and a good strategy to keep those filthy Ubuntu users away. Or do think some simple dialog based TUI menus are supper difficult do whip up and maintain? IDK what they're thinking but at this point they look kinda cult like from far away. Crazy stuff.

Of course, I since jumped ship to Gentoo and never looked back. Gentoo is safe from those evil noob friendly installers, so I have nothing to worry about.
      Last edited by binarybanana; 26 November 2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

What?

I use Manjaro full time on 3 different systems with very different hardware configurations and I use AUR constantly and never had the issue you describes at that extreme
        This was in like 2015 or 2016. Things may have changed by now. But my broken install is still on an SSD only partially usable.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Chrome OS uses Gentoo as a base, so in a sense Gentoo is also for normies now. Better switch to LFS, which will never become normy territory!!!
          Normies slithering around... Watch out, watch out, watch out!! https://github.com/pbret/lfs-docker

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
            Arch needs to support secure boot like Fedora/Ubuntu/openSUSE does with the signed shim, disabling secure boot can be problematic and unwanted, I don't get why they don't support it.
            Arch Linux is only a project without any company behind. It's actually hard, maybe impossible to create a trusted license as community project.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

This was in like 2015 or 2016. Things may have changed by now. But my broken install is still on an SSD only partially usable.
              I used Manjaro in 2019-2020 and it broke 3 times, I don't even have an nvidia card - every update the nvidia users were having further issues

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

Arch Linux is only a project without any company behind.
                From a corporate POV, yes. But Valve is contributing to Arch, so technically speaking, there *is* a company behind.

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post

I used Manjaro in 2019-2020 and it broke 3 times, I don't even have an nvidia card - every update the nvidia users were having further issues
                  I have 2 machines with NVidia cards (laptop and desktop), zero problems. One machine is 5 years old and the other is 2.

Comment

Originally posted by alex19EP View Post

if GUI installer could be implemented as a plugin to archinstall IMO that would be nice and welcome thing.
                    What if I told you, it has already been done.
                    (Before anyone roast me, yea I know it's not usable anymore)

It started out as a concept, just to see how well Archinstall could be integrated with a webgui and as a library.
                    So I haven't maintained it for little over a year now, but I'd like to re-do that project with proper code styling and stuff. For fun and to reminisce, here it is: https://github.com/Torxed/archinstall_gui

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                      Arch needs to support secure boot like Fedora/Ubuntu/openSUSE does with the signed shim, disabling secure boot can be problematic and unwanted, I don't get why they don't support it.
                      It's something that I and others have tried.
                      But because the process of securing the boot process is undone by system updates unless correctly put into place, it's a bit of a nightmare.

If another tool or systemd can incorporate the setup, update and configuration of it in a more stream lined fashion I'd welcome the addition!
                      I think we had/have a PR or a discord conversation with the seutp-steps, but that's about it.

Edit: Saw that Dylan found it: (upstream) https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlin...so/-/issues/69 & (archinstall) https://github.com/archlinux/archinstall/issues/102
                      Last edited by Torxed; 29 November 2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X