Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archinstall 2.3 Released For Easily Installing Arch Linux

Phoronix: Archinstall 2.3 Released For Easily Installing Arch Linux

Added to the Arch Linux install media back in April was Archinstall for easy and quick installations. It's worked very well for basic Arch Linux installs in a matter of minutes while with Archinstall 2.3 now available it has even more features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am happy it exists because it is the only thing that allows Michael to run Arch benchmarks with ease.

Comment

Looking forward to Arch users arguing that Arch installed with Archinstall isn't Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsaysthis View Post
        Looking forward to Arch users arguing that Arch installed with Archinstall isn't Arch.
        I will not speak for everyone, but for me it is logical that if the system uses arch repositories and no others, then this is definitely arch linux. how this system was installed is irrelevant.

Comment

The work isn't finished yet. Before long, people misguided by what constitutes as "user-friendly" will be demanding a GUI installer soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            The work isn't finished yet. Before long, people misguided by what constitutes as "user-friendly" will be demanding a GUI installer soon enough.
            if GUI installer could be implemented as a plugin to archinstall IMO that would be nice and welcome thing.

Comment

Back then, i used one line to insall everything, from bootloader, desktop, to browser. Arch installation can be very short, simple and straightforward if you know what to do. I even skipped many steps on common guide because i use GUI before and after the installation. And yet, despite everything. I was proud to tell people on Internet that i use arch btw.

Now i use different distro, i no longer see the appeal of archlinux beside for learning. I wouldn't use arch/based distro for daily driver...

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Back then, i used one line to insall everything, from bootloader, desktop, to browser. Arch installation can be very short, simple and straightforward if you know what to do. I even skipped many steps on common guide because i use GUI before and after the installation. And yet, despite everything. I was proud to tell people on Internet that i use arch btw.

Now i use different distro, i no longer see the appeal of archlinux beside for learning. I wouldn't use arch/based distro for daily driver...
                I'm literally the opposite. Arch is my daily driver and other distributions are for learning. I prefer the minimal to no configurations done by upstream aspect of Arch. I install it, I set it, I know it. Trying out other distributions' preconfigured environments and desktops is one of my ways of learning new things because instead of "install it, set it, know it" it's more like "install it, use it, figure it (out)" since I'm thrown into some environment where I'll go "OK, so I got GNOME, some plugins, it looks like we're gonna be putzing with Flats for Apps, wait...is that the FISH shell?".

I'm at the point where I'd rather tell people I'm on Manjaro just so they don't think I'm being the stereotypical "BTW, I use Arch" asshole....granted I plan on switching over to the new SteamOS whenever it comes out since it'll be doing the same tweaks I'll be doing, running the same desktop I prefer to run, and will contain the same system management software I prefer to use.

Comment

Me too. I like it when people out themselves as that stupid.

So you wanna argue that the official Arch installation method doesn't lead to an Arch install? Go right ahead.

Comment

Very Nice.
                    Good luck to every new user.

Comment

Working...
                    X