Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Linux 2022 Released - Based On Fedora With Changes

Phoronix: Amazon Linux 2022 Released - Based On Fedora With Changes

Amazon Web Services has made Amazon Linux 2022 now publicly available in preview form as the newest version of their Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Amazon offers its own Linix distribution but forces Kindle (for PC) customers to struggle with WINE?
    Last edited by Eumaios; 23 November 2021, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Given that Amazon Linux has previously been based on rebuilds of (RH)EL, and of course (RH)EL starts (at least partially) as a fixed Fedora release, eliminating the middle-person ((RH)EL) probably makes sense for Amazon (since EL-stream now longer has fixed point releases anyway). And my experience with Fedora is that while it is still a leading edge release, it has not been the bleeding (red on the floor along with moments of fainting) edge of yesteryear.

Comment

Originally posted by Eumaios View Post
        Amazon offers its own Linix distribution but forces Kindle customers to struggle with WINE?
        Different department. Any company as large as Amazon has silos, and silos of silos.

Comment

As someone who uses Amazon Linux exclusively at work, this is rather exciting. Glad to see it rebased on Fedora.

Comment

Amazon offers its own Linix distribution but forces Kindle customers to struggle with WINE?
            AWS has nothing to do with Kindle. Also, why can't you just use Calibre to manage your kindle? https://calibre-ebook.com/

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
              why can't you just use Calibre to manage your kindle?
              Assuming that your question is sincere:

I have no physical Kindle device. I purchase ebooks from Amazon and read them on my PC or phone using the Kindle Reader app (Kindle for PC and whatever it's called for Android). I tried Kindle Cloud Reader but found the page turning to lag annoyingly. So I needed to get my Kindle ebooks on my PC. Kindle for PC via WINE is the best solution I've found, but it was very challenging to get it to work at all, requiring trying different versions of both WINE and K4PC, and requiring downloading a missing certificate. It was the last barrier preventing me from moving completely from Windows to Linux.

While I do use and love Calibre for ebooks that I download from other sources, one cannot download ebooks from Amazon servers to Calibre.

Comment

Amazon offers its own Linix distribution but forces Kindle (for PC) customers to struggle with WINE?
                I plug my kindle in and copy files to it via MTP - works fab

Comment

I have no physical Kindle device. I purchase ebooks from Amazon and read them on my PC or phone using the Kindle Reader app (Kindle for PC and whatever it's called for Android). I tried Kindle Cloud Reader but found the page turning to lag annoyingly. So I needed to get my Kindle ebooks on my PC. Kindle for PC via WINE is the best solution I've found, but it was very challenging to get it to work at all, requiring trying different versions of both WINE and K4PC, and requiring downloading a missing certificate. It was the last barrier preventing me from moving completely from Windows to Linux.

While I do use and love Calibre for ebooks that I download from other sources, one cannot download ebooks from Amazon servers to Calibre.
                  This might or might not be legal where you live, but you can easily remove DRM from Kindle eBooks, then they can be read from any device. https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...tools/releases
                  Last edited by r1348; 23 November 2021, 06:49 AM.

Comment

You might be able to use this to strip the Kindle DRM (and other ebook DRM). Once you install that all you'll have to do is add an ebook to Calibre and it'll remove the DRM (assuming Amazon hasn't updated it).

Comment

Working...
                    X