Amazon Linux 2022 Released - Based On Fedora With Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    Given that Amazon Linux has previously been based on rebuilds of (RH)EL, and of course (RH)EL starts (at least partially) as a fixed Fedora release, eliminating the middle-person ((RH)EL) probably makes sense for Amazon (since EL-stream now longer has fixed point releases anyway). And my experience with Fedora is that while it is still a leading edge release, it has not been the bleeding (red on the floor along with moments of fainting) edge of yesteryear.
    Fedora 34 and especially Fedora 35 brought Fedora back to the Fedora Core days where it was a distro for people who want to alpha-test RHEL. Fedora 34 came with GCC11, and they were both released on the same day, which means the tens of thousands of packages must have been compiled with with some pre-release compiler, the ultimate statement of "we don't care if Fedora works or not". Then things like Gnome, Wayland, Pipewire are just getting worse over time and not better.

I am switching to the next Ubuntu LTS when it comes out. If not for owning very recent hardware, I would have already switched.

Comment

Originally posted by spanky View Post

Fedora 34 and especially Fedora 35 brought Fedora back to the Fedora Core days where it was a distro for people who want to alpha-test RHEL. Fedora 34 came with GCC11, and they were both released on the same day, which means the tens of thousands of packages must have been compiled with with some pre-release compiler, the ultimate statement of "we don't care if Fedora works or not". Then things like Gnome, Wayland, Pipewire are just getting worse over time and not better.

I am switching to the next Ubuntu LTS when it comes out. If not for owning very recent hardware, I would have already switched.
      A single non working package is enough to block the release of a fedora version, thats how strict their QC is. I smell BS.

GCC11 was in a done state for a long time, just because it was not officially release tagged while 34 was in Beta does not mean the compiler was any different then after the release.

And please, switch to to Ubuntu LTS because the next one will be Gnome, Wayland and very likely also Pipewire based
      Last edited by Alexmitter; 24 November 2021, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        Flashback ...is this like Ubuntu with the unity-searchscope-Amazon-by-default-Plugin just as fullblown distro ?
        AFAIK it is more limited. Its main use is for AWS - so unlikely to have a desktop or anything user tracking as that is a surplus to requirements here.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

A single non working package is enough to block the release of a fedora version, thats how strict their QC is. I smell BS.
          Oh, so literally everything works in Fedora every release, and everybody who suggests Fedora has issues is lying. Got it.

GCC11 was in a done state for a long time, just because it was not officially release tagged while 34 was in Beta does not mean the compiler was any different then after the release.
          Nevermind the fact that every major release of GCC is hot garbage for the first 6 months, but sure.

And please, switch to to Ubuntu LTS because the next one will be Gnome, Wayland and very likely also Pipewire based
          Yes, but Ubuntu was also sane enough to roll back to X11 after realzing was a dumpster fire Wayland was during their non-LTS cycle. Fedora only rolls forward no matter how bad something is.

Comment

Working...
          X