Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazon Linux 2022 Released - Based On Fedora With Changes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    My thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

    Regarding deDRM, I experimented with that but found that on Linix and WINE, keys are often missing, preventing the DRM stripping from working. Apparently, those keys are automatically downloaded with the PC and Mac versions, but not necessarily with Linux. I've been unable to get it working reliably.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Eumaios View Post
      My thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

      Regarding deDRM, I experimented with that but found that on Linix and WINE, keys are often missing, preventing the DRM stripping from working. Apparently, those keys are automatically downloaded with the PC and Mac versions, but not necessarily with Linux. I've been unable to get it working reliably.
      Yeah, the Linux instructions aren't the easiest, especially needing the Windows version of Calibre. Everything has to be in the same Wine environment as well as you'll need a copy of Python for Windows in that environment too.

      Crap like that is why I still dual boot

      Comment


      • #13
        Amazon doesn't care at all to Linux, their relation to Linux is similar to Facebook.

        Whatsapp Desktop app is Electron, but they don't build a Linux version. Amazon Music client is Electron, and it doesn't have a Linux version. In Linux, they crank the Prime Video resolution to only 480p, even tough Netflix supports 720p with the same Widevine protection.

        I think that even Microsoft tries to appear less hostile to Linux than these two.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by evasb View Post
          Amazon doesn't care at all to Linux, their relation to Linux is similar to Facebook.

          Whatsapp Desktop app is Electron, but they don't build a Linux version. Amazon Music client is Electron, and it doesn't have a Linux version. In Linux, they crank the Prime Video resolution to only 480p, even tough Netflix supports 720p with the same Widevine protection.

          I think that even Microsoft tries to appear less hostile to Linux than these two.
          Disagree completely. Amzn and Fb don't necessarily "care" about Linux, but if Linux helps them improve their bottom line, or helps to drive customers to their service offerings, they are happy to promote it and support it.

          Microsoft on the other hand has a vested interest in blocking Linux from gaining marketshare in both desktop and server, and has a track record of hostile actions to this effect. In recent years they talk a big talk about FOSS, while doing essentially nothing that benefits FOSS users in any tangible way. All of Microsoft's FOSS efforts are around migrating Linux workloads onto Windows servers.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            Disagree completely. Amzn and Fb don't necessarily "care" about Linux, but if Linux helps them improve their bottom line, or helps to drive customers to their service offerings, they are happy to promote it and support it.

            Microsoft on the other hand has a vested interest in blocking Linux from gaining marketshare in both desktop and server, and has a track record of hostile actions to this effect. In recent years they talk a big talk about FOSS, while doing essentially nothing that benefits FOSS users in any tangible way. All of Microsoft's FOSS efforts are around migrating Linux workloads onto Windows servers.
            Nah, there are plenty of examples of Microsoft funding open source efforts that don't exclusively target that. Linux stable series co-maintainer works for them, the infrastructure that goes along with it including machine learning to pick stable kernel series patches, several Linux kernel subsystem maintainers, a team headed by the founder of Python working exclusively on performance improvements upstream and so on. A large amount of Azure growth is based on Linux, so naturally their approach follows where the money is, same as pretty much any other company.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Disagree completely. Amzn and Fb don't necessarily "care" about Linux, but if Linux helps them improve their bottom line, or helps to drive customers to their service offerings, they are happy to promote it and support it.

              Microsoft on the other hand has a vested interest in blocking Linux from gaining marketshare in both desktop and server, and has a track record of hostile actions to this effect. In recent years they talk a big talk about FOSS, while doing essentially nothing that benefits FOSS users in any tangible way. All of Microsoft's FOSS efforts are around migrating Linux workloads onto Windows servers.
              And, more recently, Linux workloads onto Windows desktops. Just the thought of someone figuring out how to tell Explorer.exe to STFU and let Plasma or GNOME from WSL2 handle things is weird. So I can have my Linux desktop and play all my Windows games without having to deal with Wine? Windows as just a container OS with super optimized Linux VMs? If I could throw Windows 2000, 7, and 10 into WSW* I'll be set. Very weird to think about, indeed.

              *Windows Subsystem for Windows -- Because you know it'll be a thing eventually.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                Nah, there are plenty of examples of Microsoft funding open source efforts that don't exclusively target that. Linux stable series co-maintainer works for them, the infrastructure that goes along with it including machine learning to pick stable kernel series patches, several Linux kernel subsystem maintainers, a team headed by the founder of Python working exclusively on performance improvements upstream and so on. A large amount of Azure growth is based on Linux, so naturally their approach follows where the money is, same as pretty much any other company.
                Azure is an outlier, where the Linux market is too large for them to ignore. Linux represents more than 50% of the Azure hosted instances. The funding you mention is all to optimize Linux for running inside Azure - i.e. migrating Linux workloads to Microsoft.

                For the interoperability things that matter - file formats, network protocols, etc. Microsoft has always (and continues to) hide and obfuscate for the express purpose of preventing 3rd party software from interoperating with Microsoft products.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Eumaios View Post
                  Amazon offers its own Linix distribution but forces Kindle (for PC) customers to struggle with WINE?
                  I use a KOBO.

                  Kobo store has all the book selection of Kindle but it works plug-and-play with all my Linux machines (shows up as a removable thumb drive). Just drag-and-drop epubs or whatever. It all works. Plus no Amazon advertising. I quite recommend it.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

                    The funding you mention is all to optimize Linux for running inside Azure - i.e. migrating Linux workloads to Microsoft
                    No it is not. I gave you clear counter examples of upstream development that Microsoft is funding that is beneficial to everyone, which you didn't address at all.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Flashback ...is this like Ubuntu with the unity-searchscope-Amazon-by-default-Plugin just as fullblown distro ?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X