No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Maker Canonical Planning To Vastly Improve Its Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't you hate when you skip writing a word on an unapproved post? Whenever it gets approved they're all gonna laugh at me.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Don't you hate when you skip writing a word on an unapproved post? Whenever it gets approved they're all gonna laugh at me.
      Proactive censorship is evil. The fear of words themselves, regardless of meaning or context, is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
        If you're wondering why nobody enjoys using Linux, you're part of the problem.
        Every time I hear someone say they don't want to use Linux, it's almost always because of the community. Even if it was because they broke something and didn't want to bother with it anymore, it usually ends in a footnote of "I asked for help and everyone just called me a retard."
        I'm so sorry these heathens haven't practiced enough of His Holy Operating System to deserve salvation.
        Yeah I keep on hearing those stories, in fact the LTT videos are full of people claiming this. Know what I did? I put a comment on some 60 of those comments asking for links to the forum or reddit posts where they had been met by toxicity and I get a whole 0 replies.

There where also lots of people complaining about this and that not working in Ubuntu, so I asked several of them kindly a bit of info and if they wanted me to help them, again 0 replies.

I'm not saying that there are not some toxic Linux asshole on reddit (I mean it's on the Internet) but I do feel like much of the horror stories passed around is just that, stories. And many of the people who "tried to install Linux but then nothing worked" never ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
          Yeah I keep on hearing those stories, in fact the LTT videos are full of people claiming this. Know what I did? I put a comment on some 60 of those comments asking for links to the forum or reddit posts where they had been met by toxicity and I get a whole 0 replies.
          Try to see that from the other side. Someone says they don't feel welcome to ask for help and you react by pumping out comments telling them to prove it with specific links to each and every bad experience they might have had, as if people keep catalogs of such things. You don't see how that could be interpreted as you sort of proving their point?

The fact is that there is a mismatch between the over-hyping of everything Linux that we all know exists and the actual experience that new users experience. They've been told that everything is so simple and then, when it isn't, that can feel especially frustrating. And that can affect questions. Also, since they're inexperienced, they tend to not write very good questions, which can be met with a certain hostility in many Linux communities, partly because that is frustrating for those who are trying to help.

In my opinion, the worst part of what new users experience, is that everyone calls it "Linux", as if it's one system rather than many different systems, each consisting of many different components. So first, we train them to call it Linux. Then, when they ask «How can I open the control panel in Linux?», we refuse to give them an answer. Right? Because that question has no answer, so maybe we start explaining that they have to specify what kind of desktop environment they're using, but they have no clue because they're inexperienced.

The reason you and I might not experience the negative reactions that new users experience, might be because you and I are not new users. Perhaps it would be better for us to, instead of assuming that all these people are lying or exaggerating, perhaps try to understand why they feel that way. Then maybe we can improve.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Try to see that from the other side. Someone says they don't feel welcome to ask for help and you react by pumping out comments telling them to prove it with specific links to each and every bad experience they might have had, as if people keep catalogs of such things. You don't see how that could be interpreted as you sort of proving their point?
            Depends entirely on how you word the question. What I did was ask "Wow how rude of them to reply in that way to a simple question, btw do you still have a link to the post so that we can see the context, would be funny to see."

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
            The reason you and I might not experience the negative reactions that new users experience, might be because you and I are not new users. Perhaps it would be better for us to, instead of assuming that all these people are lying or exaggerating, perhaps try to understand why they feel that way. Then maybe we can improve.
            Well the reason why I don't get such replies is because I never ask the questions, but the reason why this claim makes me somewhat upset is that I'm the one that often supply an answer to such questions and I have never replied in such manners.
            Last edited by F.Ultra; 19 November 2021, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X