Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS Linux 8 Updated Against RHEL 8.5 Before Going EOL

Phoronix: CentOS Linux 8 Updated Against RHEL 8.5 Before Going EOL

Following last week's release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.5, CentOS Linux 8 version 2111 has been released as its RHEL 8.5 rebuild. This comes ahead of CentOS 8 becoming end-of-life at year's end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Those looking for community-oriented alternatives to CentOS Linux 8 can check out Rocky Linux and AlmaLinux
      Or continue with CentOS Stream.
      Or switch to RHEL, now that has 16 subs for free and that could be enough for some users.
      Or Oracle?

About other releases, today Carl George shared some distro data based on EPEL hits:

Comment

Good news for me is I only have two Centos systems and neither one lives on the internet so there is no burning need for me to patch them. I will wait and see how stream works out and then decide which way I want to go.

Comment

What keeps Alma and Rocky merge into one if both are exact copy of RHEL?

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
            What keeps Alma and Rocky merge into one if both are exact copy of RHEL?
            Pride? *shrug*

Can't help but feel this was kind of pointless given that CentOS is dead in six weeks.

Comment

Alma, Rocky and OEL(silently) are also updated to 8.5.
              Last edited by noangel; 17 November 2021, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                Pride? *shrug*
                I think it is more related to "control".

The Rocky community could have joined Oracle or Alma in the effort, but what is they decide to shut down the project, as RH did with CentOS?
                Think about the Scientific Linux project: they shutted it down and joined CentOS and now, if it weren't for the CentOS alternatives they would be screwed.

Rocky is intended to be and to remain open, and I wish them the best of luck.

Comment

We had to move from RHEL6 (EOS) machines, discussed RHEL or OL - we went with Oracle Linux.

You can download and use for free, and if you choose support (which we did) it's cheaper than RHEL.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelo2 View Post

Or continue with CentOS Stream.
                    Or switch to RHEL, now that has 16 subs for free and that could be enough for some users.
                    Or Oracle?

About other releases, today Carl George shared some distro data based on EPEL hits:

https://twitter.com/carlwgeorge/stat...47432753188872
                    I've migrated my home lab from CentOS 7 to Debian 11. Feeling good so far.
                    I think it's good for non-critical missions.

Shiny new software gives me some illusion that I'm using the latest rig rather than something close to 5 years of life.

Comment

Working...
                    X