Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Drafts Plans For Retiring ARMv7 Support

Phoronix: Fedora Drafts Plans For Retiring ARMv7 Support

It's crazy to think it has already been ten years since Arm disclosed ARMv8 with 64-bit support. Given the success of ARMv8 (and Armv9 now on the way) and there not being much in the way of useful ARMv7 hardware in recent years and the like, Fedora has drafted plans for retiring its ARMv7 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As a Pi user I don't find Fedora being useful at all. That's may be a good thing for them but also not a thing for Pi user.

Comment

I didn't even know they were still supporting the pandaboard after all these years. I was shocked to discover recently that openBSD still supports it. I figured that after a couple half-hearted and now quite stale ubuntu ports, everyone had given up on it.

I'm not surprised that the original raspi is 32-bit only, and I guess not too many people are still using that?

The raspi 2 though? Is that really 32-bit only? I thought it was much closer to the raspi 3. I can think of LOTS of people (myself included) still running raspi 2 boards "in production" with plans to continue for a good long while.

Comment

You can always comment here: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...5L5C2IVY35OWA/

Comment

I'm still using my Utilite Pro quite heavily, but I am waiting to drop some cash on its replacement. I want my Quartz64 Model B, dammit! Not using Fedora here though. I like it, but mainly for desktop use.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
            The raspi 2 though? Is that really 32-bit only? I thought it was much closer to the raspi 3. I can think of LOTS of people (myself included) still running raspi 2 boards "in production" with plans to continue for a good long while.
            RPi 2 Model B had two hardware revisions: the original with ARMv7 (32-bit only) and 1.2 with ARMv8 (32/64) which is indeed close to what RPi 3 eventually became.

Comment

RaspberryPi v1.1 256MB Ram,armv6 early adopter here!
              I still use and abuse of it, its crazy that a board with 256MB has so much to offer..
              And I know that a lot of people still use it..

If I change, I would change for a Quad-core cortex A7( armv7 ),with a big battery on it.. no need for more.

Comment

On the one hand, everybody wants to drop 32 bit support from all the distros. On the other hand, 32-bit arm is probably going to continue to be manufactured and sold for several decades.

Comment

On the one hand, everybody wants to drop 32 bit support from all the distros. On the other hand, 32-bit arm is probably going to continue to be manufactured and sold for several decades.
                  To be fair, most of the armv7 (typically embedded) solutions (i.e. NAS/IoT) are using kernels and apps that are targeted towards a very small subset of the total app ecosystem. Fedora has tied to support their full suite of apps on armv7, including large apps such as Gnome, and that is typically just too big to build, or run, reliably, moving forward (sure, in some specific use cases you can probably run Gnome on a armv7 256Kb memory system, but do not expect anything one would consider "responsive").

Comment

On the one hand, everybody wants to drop 32 bit support from all the distros.
                    This small computers run very well as servers, to provide network services for your home

Comment

Working...
                    X