Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arch Linux Installer Updated With Btrfs Subvolumes Support, Reworked Partitioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Manjaro installer installing regular Arch would be cool.
    You could use the Trademark infringement https://archlinuxgui.in
    But this is not Arch Linux in any way, as it's someone elses distro. While Arch Linux always is your own.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

EndeavourOS
      Buggy .... also just want my installer gui to lay out thebase system..... maybe give me choice of an aur client ..... I got it after that.

Comment

Waiting for another distro that has the integration with BTRFS like OpenSUSE does, including the various BTRFS configuration options in the installer and the way OpenSUSE does the setup automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post

Buggy .... also just want my installer gui to lay out thebase system..... maybe give me choice of an aur client ..... I got it after that.
          I never had any issue, Manjaro is often way more buggy and also it isn't "also just want my installer gui to lay out thebase system" so I don't get why you start with asking for Manjaro installing of Arch.

Comment

Not sure why this is needed. The manual installation of Arch is one of its best features!

Only thing I wish for is easier setup of encrypted diskless iSCSI machines. The default config can't handle booting that so you need to copy in some custom scripts which are not officially part of the distro. It works but is annoying to do each time. On Ubuntu the installer can handle it out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post

AnARCHy?

It's basically just a slightly better Arch Installer (it was there first) and gives a lot of options. I used it just before the Arch Installer was public, and AnARCHy gave me a fully working system with almost everything I normally install in about 15 minutes of fumbling through the menus (first time I'd used it)...

Comment

i tried it awhile ago in a VM just to see what it does differently than a manual install. it worked fine for me but i don't do anything fancy. no wireless, no bluetooth, no encryption, just basic ext4, etc. i found no real need for it for a normal, basic desktop install. but i can see it being useful for people that do fancy or complicated installs to ease such a configurations.

i still stand behind that new users should install arch the normal way though. i hope the arch install always stays optional and not actively promoted to discourage new users from using it. arch shouldn't become a fedora or ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post
                  BTRFS subvolumes and LVM are an endless source of issues for users who have zero understanding how it all works and they end up with systems they have no idea how to manage and in the end they often just remove Linux and install good old Windows instead.
                  the same thing could be said for every single piece of sofware composing a Linux distro or standalone: Gnome, KDE, Firefox/Chrome/Whatever, LibreOffice/MSOffice/any other office suite, vim, nano, emacs.

If you install something you either do learn the thing or get back to what you are used to.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
                    Not sure why this is needed. The manual installation of Arch is one of its best features!

Only thing I wish for is easier setup of encrypted diskless iSCSI machines. The default config can't handle booting that so you need to copy in some custom scripts which are not officially part of the distro. It works but is annoying to do each time. On Ubuntu the installer can handle it out of the box.
                    The best part of archinstall is that it's entirely optional. You can also use any file system setup provided you get your mount points setup under /mnt ahead of time.

If it makes you feel any better I'm in the same boat with ZFS and Arch. Another one of those "it can be done but you gotta work at it" scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

You could use the Trademark infringement https://archlinuxgui.in
                      But this is not Arch Linux in any way, as it's someone elses distro. While Arch Linux always is your own.
                      Why is this not Arch Linux? He provides different DE's and themes, but overall just Arch with a Calamares installer.
                      Last edited by Firnefex; 08 November 2021, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X