Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0 Beta Released

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by Chousuke View Post
    even though I still use the ifcfg-style configuration because it's easier to manage.
    That's the whole point of it - NM brings all kinds of pain in this area and I hate it passionately.
    I need to check out .nmconnection files if they are sensible and figure out how to programatically create them and then see if any of the puppet modules already does this or if I have to handle it myself. When you have thousands of systems to manage, going for lowest common denominator is the way to go. Some fancy high level gui is useless ...

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by pegasus View Post
      That's the whole point of it - NM brings all kinds of pain in this area and I hate it passionately.
      I need to check out .nmconnection files if they are sensible and figure out how to programatically create them and then see if any of the puppet modules already does this or if I have to handle it myself. When you have thousands of systems to manage, going for lowest common denominator is the way to go. Some fancy high level gui is useless ...
      NetworkManager's native configuration is just a bunch of ini files; they're not very troublesome if you want to manage them. However, since Red Hat chose to care about backwards compatibility, NM fully implements and supports the old configuration format and there's no reason or need to transition to the native INI files until you use some feature that only they can provide.

      Basically, it's doing backwards compatiblity the way it should be done: It provides support for 99% of what's out there in the old format, but doesn't bend over backwards and introduce crazy hacks to support accidentally working usage that relied on implementation details of the previous script mess.

      As far as I am concerned, nothing has changed except that instead of a bunch of scripts parsing the files and running commands, my configuration files are read by an actual daemon that is responsible for managing the system's network configuration; the fact that the centralized control also happens to enable fancy UIs is just a side-effect.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by Chousuke View Post
        As far as I am concerned, nothing has changed except that instead of a bunch of scripts parsing the files and running commands, my configuration files are read by an actual daemon that is responsible for managing the system's network configuration; the fact that the centralized control also happens to enable fancy UIs is just a side-effect.
        Yes, this is exactly right. If you are using it in a server, there is no reason to be concerned about a gui (you could use cockpit web UI if you like), all of the functionality is in a daemon and exposed via a cli. Some background

        https://blogs.gnome.org/thaller/2021...nd-its-future/
        https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chang...ad_of_ifcfg_rh

        Comment


        • #24
          Thanks for hopping in there Chousuke and RahulSundaram. I corrected by information in my original post about network-scripts and configs (it's been a long week).

          kylew77 GraysonPeddie See the past page or so, TLDR ifcfg-<con> configs will continue to work with caveats noted, it's just the tooling from network-scripts you'll be losing.

          Cheers,
          Mike
          Last edited by mroche; 04 November 2021, 05:24 PM.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by mroche View Post
            kylew77 I should make an amendment to my statement earlier. From the docs:



            My understanding of this statement is that if you upgrade (through leapp) to RHEL 9, you won't need to make any modifications to your current workflow. However if you were to reprovision, I'm not sure it would bother reading those config files. I can try and dig up some extra information on this if desired.

            Cheers,
            Mike
            You can also change back to the old way relatively easily. On a new install a connection will be registered via /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/<int>.nmconnection. You can just rip that out and recreate the old /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<int> files and reboot or restart networking and things should work as expected; at least they did for the Fedora Server 34 systems I've setup.

            Comment


            • #26
              It would seem that Phoronix has an edit limit/moderation/shadow system in place for older comments. I can see my edits just fine, but if I open them up in an private window they aren't there. Michael Any idea what that's about?

              Cheers,
              Mike

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by mroche View Post
                It would seem that Phoronix has an edit limit/moderation/shadow system in place for older comments. I can see my edits just fine, but if I open them up in an private window they aren't there. Michael Any idea what that's about?

                Cheers,
                Mike
                Probably just a CloudFlare caching issue... Try again after some time.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Michael View Post

                  Probably just a CloudFlare caching issue... Try again after some time.
                  Gave it a few hours, looks good now! Sorry, did not mean for the previous post to come off accusatory (I know some of these platforms have built in features to reduce spam and help with moderation and wasn't sure if I was hitting such a limit).

                  Cheers,
                  Mike

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Downloading RHEL 9 Beta does require a Red Hat account, which does include the no-cost Red Hat Developer program access
                    Is anyone here using the RedHat Developer Program?

                    I signed up but did not like the way that RedHat limits your account, for example you can't read support answers unless you get a paid subscription and you can't access specific packages without starting your trail period which lasts a few days. For me to effectively test RHEL I needed access to those. It was too limited so I ended up not using it at all. Perhaps there will be a reason for me to use it in the future...

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Jabberwocky I do. Could you share an example link to something you're trying to access? Some of the trial stuff is a bit unclear, the program (to my knowledge) is supposed to supply 10 cores of OpenShift, but still makes you use a 60 day trial and the subscription to attach never showed up in my cloud console. I brought it up to some folks internally, haven't followed up though.

                      Cheers,
                      Mike

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X