Ubuntu Continues Work On Flutter+Dart Written Firmware-Updater Utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Continues Work On Flutter+Dart Written Firmware-Updater Utility

Phoronix: Ubuntu Continues Work On Flutter+Dart Written Firmware-Updater Utility

Along with the work-in-progress new Ubuntu desktop installer, another GUI project being pursued by Canonical going into the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS cycle is the "firmware-updater" as a firmware updating GUI solution written in the Flutter toolkit and Dart...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is really weird. Flutter apps look really foreign on Linux, they don't integrate well, no matter if you use a Qt or GTK based desktop. Flutter used to be really bad in terms of accessibility, too. Did they improve that in any way?

Not a fan of Flutter, it's a strange framework with many odd design decisions.

Comment

I don't care for any additional firmware update utility, or any Flutter/Dart-based firmware utility, I already have fwupd.
      What I need Canonical to do is get OEM vendors, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, etc to start using Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LFVS).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I don't care for any additional firmware update utility, or any Flutter/Dart-based firmware utility, I already have fwupd.
        What I need Canonical to do is get OEM vendors, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, etc to start using Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LFVS).
        I agree on every word.
        I add that I have the impression that time is wasted on useless things and at least companies shouldn't do it.

Comment

To be fair to Dell they have had Linux utilities to grab the latest bioses for ages - also they support a lot already in LVFS -> https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/

Comment

There is expanding support for server/workstation class hardware. As that is where Canonical makes their money (service contracts), that is where they likely give a darn about vendor support. If you want consumer grade vendors to support you you are likely going to have to vote with your wallet choosing vendors that provide such updates (Dell, Lenovo, ? do provide firmware for at least some of their products).

Comment

Are there any screenshots or video of the new utility?

It will be interesting to see what it looks like - from what I hear the base layer on linux is gtk/gdk so it should be possible to make it look close to native.

Comment

You will mostly get Red Hat doing that work.

Comment

Is this safe to do ("Update checksums") and if so, what purpose does it serve in this context?

gnome-firmware on Ubuntu 21.10

I

Comment

I guess Canonical will do everything to not use Qt, and even GTK now !
                    Always wasting time and resources on stuff nobody asked for.

Comment

Working...
                    X