No announcement yet.

Fedora Linux 35 Released As Another Exciting, Feature-Packed Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedora 35 is shipping Gnome 41 before Arch...

Comment

Originally posted by mattdm View Post
      We've been trying very hard to avoid "Phoronix says we're late again" these last few years, but when it comes right down to it making sure we release something we're confident in is most important. I will, however, give the same futile note: if this were proprietary software, you wouldn't know it was "delayed", because you wouldn't see the schedule or the development process.

But anyway, it's here now. Enjoy!
      ArcaOS has a schedule, yet it's a proprietary OS. Apple also usually posts a schedule for macOS. So I don't understand your last point.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdm View Post
        We've been trying very hard to avoid "Phoronix says we're late again" these last few years, but when it comes right down to it making sure we release something we're confident in is most important. I will, however, give the same futile note: if this were proprietary software, you wouldn't know it was "delayed", because you wouldn't see the schedule or the development process.

But anyway, it's here now. Enjoy!
        Thank you for not being Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by ptrwis View Post
          Unless I missed something, this one isn't particularly exciting. There are no major changes like in recent Fedora releases like the switch to Wayland, btrfs, dbus-broker or PipeWire. I thought maybe iwd would land, but no, just a maintenance release.
          They haven't ripped and replaced large parts of the Linux ecosystem in a while. Give it a couple more releases, and they'll do something like rebase on Silverblue giving every user their own nspawn container.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Good question. I don't require much from a dev machine, but these days I find myself installing either some Ubuntu variant (because the rest of the team doesn't know any better and they all went Ubuntu, despite it being a poor choice for developers, with its stale packages) or OpenSUSE (because I love KDE).
            I think OpenSUSE is awesome too (while I can't say the same for Ubuntu).

Back when I used to install Fedora, it was because server were running RedHat and Fedora or CentOS would keep up close to that. That "pressure" is gone, I haven't seen a RedHat server in production in a while.
            this reasoning (using Fedora because is close to what's running on the server) luckily is still valid where I work and in the reality near me that I know about.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              15 years ago, I couldn't wait to install the latest Fedora on a development machine. But my enthusiasm faded away, I think the last time I installed it was 10 years ago. Is that just me or has Fedora lost its mojo? What's its appeal these days?
              Fedora has a tonne of mojo these days. The community is full of energy, and companies making end user stuff have really embraced it.

It's one of the top desktop distros out there.

My rankings:

1) Fedora
              2) Elementary
              3) ?

Comment

Originally posted by bzs0 View Post

does Fedora typically update KDE between releases? Asking because I genuinely don't know; switched to Kinoite recently from Manjaro and loving it so far!
                It has happened in past releases. I forgot which Fedora version it was. The new Fedora release shipped with 5.19, but then upgrade to 5.20.1 post release day. This was one of the reasons we settled on Fedora because they seem to care about the KDE side of life (despite it not being the primary DE). In my opinion, Fedora joins Arch and Manjaro as my top mainstream distributions to get a good Plasma experience. All things considered, Plasma is a fast developing DE and it needs an modern, agile and responsive Linux-base to keep the development rhythm in balance. Fedora is one such distribution, but it gives a bit more stability in a work environment than Arch or one of its derivatives.

Glad you are trying Kinoite, it is high on my watchlist of distributions. Personally, I believe concepts like Kinoite's rpm-ostree and flatpaks are the future. While I trust Fedora's rpms and Arch's main repos, Linux is becoming too popular not to have sandboxing at its core. Third-party software is becoming very common on average Linux users' system, I really want it siloed away with flatpaks. Having the main OS versioned and controlled with rpm-ostree (especially if BTRFS can be leveraged in the process) is an added perk for stability. Exciting times ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

ArcaOS has a schedule, yet it's a proprietary OS. Apple also usually posts a schedule for macOS. So I don't understand your last point.
                  I am not familiar with ArcaOS, but when I look at their roadmap, I just see "ArcaOS 5.1 (planned)", with no dates attached. Maybe it's somewhere else; I'm not actually trying to claim that no proprietary system ever has a transparent schedule. It sure isn't common. As for Apple, their announcements say things like "this fall". They didn't put an actual date on it until just one week before that date. That's exactly what I'm talking about. There's no problem with this, but you don't know how many times the release "slipped" or "was delayed" internally. They very well could have started with a September 22 target and ended up a whole month "late".

Meanwhile in Fedora: https://fedorapeople.org/groups/sche...all-tasks.html

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    came here to see if anyone said it. Not disappointed

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                      I could see angry moderators on archlinux forum if anybody had guts to question gnome41 availability, meanwhile kde 5.23 was available near instantly.

Comment

Working...
                      X