No announcement yet.

Canonical Looking For Community Feedback As Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Development Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Looking For Community Feedback As Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Development Begins

Phoronix: Canonical Looking For Community Feedback As Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Development Begins

With Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" beginning development, Canonical is soliciting community feedback as they plot out more of the planned changes for this next major release and areas to focus on enhancing over the next six months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's awesome. I might participate. I'm about to install 21.10 again (remember what I said about living dangerously on RAID0? Got bit in the ass, hard. Accidentally loaded "Optimized Defaults" for my BIOS and it borked my RAID array. Sorry as hell. But I learned a lot from it and it was a blessing in disguise that it happened early. Sorry for the tangent).

I'm keeping 20.04 LTS on my 2010 MacBook Pro, and going with 21.10 on my Haswell desktop with the RAID0 array (2x860 EVOs instead of 3x this time, makes way more sense, and using 'none' scheduler for lightening fast speeds).

Was going to stick with 20.04 on both for less overhead of maintaining two versions, but 21.10 is in a very solid place, and it's going to be a smooth upgrade to 22.04 LTS in 6 months. Couldn't be happier with Ubuntu, don't see myself changing. (this is not to say Ubuntu is perfect, just perfect for my needs. Salutes.)

Comment

First Ubuntu integration of PipeWire and BTRFS by default in LTS - "great suggestions".
      Ubuntu should not listen to uninformed, opinionated users and take their feedback from experts...

Comment

Installer sucks with zfs: you basically have to bypass it in order to get a decent fs layout. That could be improved.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Here is my only suggestion to them: Stop shoving Snaps down people's throats.

No, but seriously, they keep bragging about how Snap's startup time has been improved, but people keep reporting that it's still very slow. When are they going to finally fix slow startups once and for all? And when I say "fixed", I mean absolutely the same startup time as traditional packages.
          Also, if more apps will transition to Snaps like Chromium and Firefox, imagine how much disk space is going to be wasted. I mean some people have 64gb hard drives.
          That's why I hope the Snapisation of Ubuntu will be limited to Web browsers.

Sorry if it's a bit of a rant, because Ubuntu is still one of my favorite distributions and I don't want it to be ruined by Snaps.

Comment

- Replace the broken and not free software compatible ZFS with BTRFS.
            - Either fix snap or drop it, if my Windows noob friends complain about snap apps being slow, something is seriously wrong with it.
            - Stop patching the sh*t out of packages until they break, Gnome Software is a dysfunctional mess on Ubuntu while it just works fine on Debian 11 and Fedora. And that is just one of the packages they knowingly break to patch in their stuff.

Sadly I still have to recommend Ubuntu for those who still use a Nvidia GPU. And no, PopOS is even worse then Ubuntu as they may not do point 1 and 2, but point 3 and that in a way that is just unacceptable.

Comment

Everyone do this (if you care): Fresh install an LTS or 21.10 release and write down what you don’t like, what you would change, etc. Do it for no one else but yourself. And then share if you feel like it.

advice: Keep biases out. Snaps make sense for some things. You can uninstall any snap and reinstall the apt package. Don’t make a big fuss about something that doesn’t need to be. It’s not *your* distribution to call all the shots but you’re welcome to customize it.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                Everyone do this (if you care): Fresh install an LTS or 21.10 release and write down what you don’t like, what you would change, etc. Do it for no one else but yourself. And then share if you feel like it.

advice: Keep biases out. Snaps make sense for some things. You can uninstall any snap and reinstall the apt package. Don’t make a big fuss about something that doesn’t need to be. It’s not *your* distribution to call all the shots but you’re welcome to customize it.
                No, they should tell what they think, not what Canonical wants to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
                  First Ubuntu integration of PipeWire and BTRFS by default in LTS - "great suggestions".
                  Ubuntu should not listen to uninformed, opinionated users and take their feedback from experts...
                  Better suggestions than Ubuntu's 'experts' decisions - zfs, snaps, upstart, mir..

Comment

advice: Keep biases out.
                    Yes, avoid talking about issues that interest you and talk about issues that interest me.

Snaps make sense for some things.
                    Maybe, and a big maybe.

You can uninstall any snap and reinstall the apt package. Don’t make a big fuss about something that doesn’t need to be. It’s not *your* distribution to call all the shots but you’re welcome to customize it.
                    Ok, can you explain to me how to remove the chromium-browser snap and install the .deb version? Because that would be great.

Comment

Working...
                    X