Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying Out Ubuntu's New Flutter+Curtin-Powered Desktop Installer Was Disappointing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out Ubuntu's New Flutter+Curtin-Powered Desktop Installer Was Disappointing

Phoronix: Trying Out Ubuntu's New Flutter+Curtin-Powered Desktop Installer Was Disappointing

An effort going on for a while at Canonical has been to develop a new desktop installer for Ubuntu. With the recent Ubuntu 21.10 release they are still using their classic Ubiquity installer by default but have published a new preview build of Ubuntu 21.10 with their new desktop installer option. Here is a look at Ubuntu's forthcoming new installer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Because it's still a work in progress

You should try the next year, and I'm pretty sure it will be amazing.

Comment

probably snapd causing problems again

Comment

Sounds like an OMGUbuntu! headline rather. Nice try Michael, let's actually "review" the installer once it's ready.

Comment

The new installer is obviously a step in the right direction. But as you already said here. It's still WIP.
          Don't turn into those shitty clickbait sites :P

Comment

Obviously, it's a review of prerelease software, but I think the questions Michael brings up are valid, particularly about OpenZFS support.

Comment

What exactly was wrong with the previous installer? I'm asking out of ignorance here, as it has been years since I installed Ubuntu. Don't remember there being any issues except having to set up lvm on top of cryptsetup manually in a terminal first.
              Last edited by Vorpal; 21 October 2021, 04:33 PM. Reason: Fixed a spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
                What exactly was wrong with the previous installer? I'm asking out of ignorance here, as it has been years since I installed Ubuntu. Don't remember there being any issues except having to set up lvm on top of cryptsetup manually in a terminal first.
                Ubuntu: the pursuit of shiny and new(tm)

Comment

Appreciate you doing this, Michael. Like DanL mentioned, will also harden the release when it's released. Not sure why you're getting flack for it, but then again, not surprised either. Thanks again.

Comment

So, they're just reinventing the wheel for no reason, just like how Mir started?

I don't even understand why Canonical uses systemd instead of upstart if they keep acting like this

Comment

Working...
                    X